Sr. Data Engineer at Expedia Group
Expedia’s Conversations Platform and Customer Engagement (CPCE) Technology team is dedicated to driving technology innovation to build outstanding customer experiences worldwide in Expedia Group apps, web sites, support channels, and contact centers via our Virtual Agent Platform. We support over 80 million customer interactions a year and over 12,000 agents – across a global brand portfolio and workforce.
CPCE's Data and Intelligence team is looking for a thoughtful and dedicated Sr. Software Development Engineer with experiences and skillsets that demonstrate a capability for delivering high quality, customer-facing features that meet platform and product needs. Our team is building out intelligence services that power Expedia Group's Virtual Agents to make an outstanding impact on customer needs in an efficient manner without needing human intervention. With your passion, technical skills, and effective communication, you will implement and affect solutions that drive customer effort down and improve customer self-service at Expedia.
What you’ll do
- Incept and develop business-critical backend services, stream processors and high quality data pipelines.
- Guide your team in adoption of cloud & serverless technologies, good design practices, and find opportunities to simplify and scale
- Review pull requests, and lead by example on code refactoring for readability, extensibility, and testability
- Lead your products, with a focus on DevOps and robust automation
- Adopt change, always open to replacing what you built yesterday with something better today.
- Build a cloud-native, real-time stream processing & data lake platform that scales into the Zettabytes and beyond.
- Contribute to the product with potential to become the foundational platform for the entire travel industry
Who you are
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or related subject area
- Experienced Java and/or python developer with outstanding software system design, problem solving, and object-oriented coding skills
- At least 7+ years software development experience, with a background in ecommerce solutions or other transactional processing systems
- Experience building applications using Apache/Confluence Kafka, Big Data Technologies, Spark/Pyspark.
- Experience delivering and supporting highly available and scalable solutions with large transaction volume on a 24x7 operational cycle
- Experience with building CI/CD pipelines with Jenkins/Kumo.
- Technologies we use: Java, AWS, Kafka, GraphQL, Node.js, React, Elasticsearch, DynamoDB, S3, Lambda, Docker, Dropwizard, Data Dog, Looker
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features and review technical designs
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are a global travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and bring the world within reach – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, Vrbo®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia Cruises™ and SilverRail Technologies, Inc. For more information, visit www.expediagroup.com
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.