Sr Data Scientist at Expedia Group
Are you passionate about solving real world problems using machine learning? Would you like to take a journey to make travel better every day?
If you are a highly motivated data scientist with passion for revolutionizing the travel industry, then come join us here at Expedia Group's Enterprise Risk and Security team. We apply data and technology to protect and improve the travel experience of our customers.
As a member of the Data Science team in ERS, you will help us protect our customers, partners and brands from fraud, account takeover and network security threats by using industry-leading data and decision science. Expedia Group has deep and rich data sets, many still untapped, and your passion for data science and machine learning has the power to discover tangible insights for our business.
We’re a deeply collaborative team and you will have the opportunity to work closely with colleagues across partner, engineering, operations, and product groups. Fully immerse yourself in data, draw insight from analysis, and then zoom out to develop compelling, synthesized recommendations. In addition, you will use your knowledge of scripting tools like Python or R to develop scientific algorithms and help automate repeatable analytical processes.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone passionate about using data to innovate and improve the effectiveness of risk and security threat detection algorithms and technology. Your work will positively impact millions of customers.
What You'll Do
- Identify and understand key business challenges and opportunities, formulate the machine learning problem and build prototype solutions
- Develop state of the art algorithms using machine learning, statistical and optimization methods to power various aspects of highly complex business models
- Collect and manipulate large volumes of data; build new and improved techniques and/or solutions for data collection, management, and usage
- Collaborate extensively with partners, operations, program & product management, and engineering team to ensure that solution meet business needs, lead to valid inferences and have functional feasibility
- Automate and/or streamline repetitive processes to improve individual and team productivity.
- Communicate results in a clean and simple way to all levels of the company (field teams up to senior management)
- Brainstorm with other team members
Who You Are
- PhD or MS in computer science or equivalent quantitative fields with a strong background in machine learning.
- 5+ years industry experience working with live data (data cleaning, data visualization and modeling) and building machine learning models.
- Strong algorithm design and programming skills in at least one language like Python, R, or Scala in a distributed computing environment.
- Passion for solving interesting and meaningful real-world problems using principled techniques and practices
- Helpful collaboration in a team and sensitive to clients' needs, while developing warm relationships, and a willingness to think through ambiguous problems with others
- Experience documenting, synthesizing, and communicating results.
- Bonus points for hands-on experience with deep learning technologies , experience in e-commerce and/or online travel, and experience in risk and security.
Why Join Us
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground, so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
*LI-PP1Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.