Staff Data Engineer at OfferUp
OfferUp is dedicated to building the simplest and most trustworthy way for people to buy and sell in their communities. Every year, millions of people use OfferUp to buy and sell locally, resulting in billions of dollars of local commerce. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., our iOS and Android app has been in the top five most popular shopping apps lists for more than three years. Join us as we build the marketplace of the future and reinvent local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust.
At a Glance
- 85M+ Downloads
- Geekwire App of Year
- 15+ percent of adults in key markets like Los Angeles, Seattle, Miami and Las Vegas use OfferUp every month
About the role:
OfferUp is looking for a Staff Data Engineer. Here at OfferUp, data is at the core of our business, providing insights into the effectiveness of our products, and enabling technology that powers them. As the Data Engineering team, we build and operate OfferUp’s data platform for streaming and batch computation, for data analysis and BI, and to train ML models. If you’re passionate about building large scale distributed data processing systems, and you are motivated to make an impact in creating a robust and scalable data platform used by every team, come join us. You will be part of a team that builds the data ingestion, transport, storage, and orchestration layers. You will help shape the vision and architecture of OfferUp’s next generation data infrastructure, making it easy for developers to build data-driven products and features.
Building the largest and most responsive mobile marketplace poses unique data challenges that require leveraging the latest developments in data infrastructure. We leverage open source infrastructure where we can, but are ready to build and share solutions if they don’t exist yet. You will be building an analytics platform working with cutting-edge technologies like Kafka, Spark, Snowflake, and Airflow.
We regard culture and trust highly, and are looking forward to welcoming your contribution to the team!
Here’s more of what you will get to do:
- Build and operate large scale data infrastructure in production.
- Design, implement and debug distributed data processing systems.
- Thinking through long-term impacts of key design decisions and handling failure scenarios.
- Building self-service platforms to power all other OfferUp teams.
- Mentor other engineers and help them with their growth.
- Drive engineering best practices, set standards and propose larger projects which may require cross-team collaboration.
- Contribute at a senior level to the data warehouse design and data preparation by implementing a robust and extensible design
- Design and develop applications to process large amounts of critical information in batch and near real-time to power user-facing features.
- Influence technical direction for the company, leveraging your prior experiences and helping evaluate emerging technologies and approaches.
You’ll thrive in this role if you have:
- 5+ years of professional software development experience.
- Strong ability in distributed systems for processing large scale data processing.
- Ability to communicate technical information effectively to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Proficiency in Java, Scala and Python.
- Experience leveraging open source data infrastructure projects, such as Apache Spark, Airflow, Kafka, Flink, Samza, Avro, Parquet, Hadoop, Hive, HBase.
- Experience building data pipelines and real-time data streams.
- Experience building software in AWS or a similar cloud environment is highly desirable.
- Experience with AWS services like EMR, Kinesis, Firehose, Lambda, Sagemaker, Athena, Elasticsearch is a big plus.
- Computer Science or Engineering degree required, Masters degree preferred.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com/tagged/culture
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.