Director, User Research at Discovery Direct-to-Consumer
Discovery hires the very best and brightest talent who are enthusiastic and passionate to fulfill the company’s mission of empowering people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity.
In exchange for their talent and drive, employees are provided with an engaging, diverse workplace and the resources they need to learn, thrive and grow in their careers.
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel. Available in 220 countries and territories and 50 languages, Discovery reaches viewers on all screens and services, from free-to-air and pay-TV channels, to digital products and streaming services, to social and mobile-first content and formats. Discovery delivers over 8,000 hours of original programming each year.
Discovery's Digital group is a well-funded start-up within Discovery Inc. We are fast, nimble, and have fun developing new, innovative, and immersive digital products and content for iconic brands. We are working at the crossroads of technology, entertainment, and everyday utility. As content creators across the digital ecosystem, we continuously leverage our technology to create immersive viewing and interactive experiences. We tell engaging stories to millions of viewers across the Internet every day and bring new interactive experiences to life to not only entertain, but improve the lives of our customers.
We are hiring a Director, User Research to support the Digital and Direct-to-Consumer business for Magnolia, a joint venture partnership between Discovery, Inc. and Chip and Jo Gaines. This Director, User Research will lead our User Experience research practice and will be responsible for bringing customer insights into every phase of the product development process, ensuring we have the customer data and insights we need to design and build experiences that delight users. This position will work directly with our product design, product management and content teams and our users to better understand user interactions and behaviors across mobile, tablets, web, connected TVs, voice and other emerging technologies. As the Director, User Research you will combine the inspiration of the Magnolia brand with a data-driven approach to help bring to life compelling experiences that delight Magnolia fans and increase engagement.
• Define and own the user research vision and roadmap, drive research priorities and contribute to delivering compelling product experiences to fans of Magnolia
• Be a highly respected senior partner and thought leader, working skillfully across teams and functions to communicate results and recommendations and advocate on behalf of our customers - including product, design, engineering, data science, content and marketing leaders.
• Set direction for the user research team, evangelizing a clear vision for success and guide to impact
• Work closely with design and product management teams to prioritize research opportunities in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment.
• Create a deep understanding and empathy for our target customers through field research, surveys, personas, lab studies, and other methods (existing or invented) that you identify to be most effective.
• Identify the best method or mix of methods based on research questions, timeline and resourcing.
• Identify and explore new opportunities through creative research methods and co-design sessions to help define product roadmaps, vision, and strategy.
• Synthesize and communicate research findings and insights to inform actionable decisions to different stakeholders.
• Ensure research delivered is integrated into every aspect of the product and provides a holistic view of our users
• Follow up with advocacy to build empathy for our users throughout the organization.
An ideal candidate will be excited about the Magnolia brand and what Chip and Jo Gaines’s vision can deliver for customers. They will have a successful track record of owning and driving a complex research roadmap, have proven leadership experience in managing large customer-facing projects and bring relevant insights in technology. They will be a creative problem-solver and sought-out decision maker with insatiable curiosity. They are a leader that teams love to work with because they inspire, develop, and care for their team members. They build trust with people from all areas of the business and have a proven track record of delivering products that customers love. This leader takes end-to-end ownership and consistently delivers results in a fast-paced environment.
• 5+ years conducting user research and testing in a software development setting
• A strong portfolio demonstrating past work experience and deliverables in user experience research and testing (e.g. study plans, reports, presentations and data visualizations)
• End-to-end experience with all aspects of user research (i.e. study design, recruiting, moderation, analysis, reporting)
• Experience leading and growing user research teams • Knowledge of the field of human-computer interaction, experimental design, observational and field methods and data analysis.
• BS degree in Human Factors, Human Centered Design, Cognitive Psychology, Cognitive Science or similar
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States
• Excellent understanding of the software, design and product development cycle
• Experience working in a software development environment within a highly entrepreneurial environment
• Exceptional communication and storytelling skills with an ability to convey complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences
• Strong organizational skills with an ability to balance multiple priorities and consistently deliver results
• Adept at working cross functionally across teams including product, product design and engineering
• Ability to understand, analyze and interpret complicated data
• Demonstrated thought-leadership with a passion for translating data into actionable insights to improve the customer experience
• Ability to manage ambiguity, work autonomously, and multi-task in an agile and fast-paced environment
• Team player and relationship builder
• Experience in multimodal systems design research
• Graduate degree in in Human Factors, Human Centered Design, Cognitive Psychology, Cognitive Science or similar
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.