Director, UX Design
You’re a dynamic, well-rounded leader whose tough lessons learned haven’t dented your optimistic outlook. You’ve figured out how to lead with soft authority across the organization and across the product line. You partner. You nurture talent without trading off your personal investment in the short- and long-term outcomes. Your hands-on experience plus the trove of relevant examples in your head help you contribute on the fly. And you’re tantalized by the possibility of getting contemporary consumer-class UI into the hands of tens of thousands of business application users.
We strive every day to help real people benefit from our technology. What we do is… complicated. But what it can do for our users is simple: turn them into that new kind of technology business leader that will dominate the digitalized economy. As we find more and more approachable ways to deliver insight into technology cost, quality and outcomes and to help people target future technology investment, we will efficiently reach an ever-larger user population. We’ve got a talented team and some good UI in our users’ hands… and now we’re ready for you to join us to take it to the next level.
What we want you to do:
We need you to show up every day as a leader and inject yourself into our fast-paced, multi-product environment to help us craft compelling software while at the same time building up our long-term UX and UA muscle.
You will lead our user experience and user assistance capabilities. You will work closely with product management and engineering leadership to foster a tightly iterative process and consistently get the right talent on the right challenges at the right times.
Your UX team will exchange ideas with products and engineering, help clarify use cases and requirements and quickly produce supporting design artifacts, both lo-fi and hi-fi. You will cultivate the skills and the environment that allow designers to be prized members of any team. In parallel, your UA team will identify the high-return user assistance assets and deliver them to users in the best way to net a successful customer experience.
You will get know our products, our domain and our go-to-market thoroughly so that you can be integral to our innovation, and, through guerrilla user research and usage data mining, you will know our end-users better than anyone else in the room.
You will help us establish a compelling, shared, suite-wide vision for UX and UA. And then you will personally help the team layer this into day-to-day and release-to-release design choices so that we move consistently closer to that vision.
• Multiple separate experiences designing software through the development lifecycle, including SaaS and including a multi-user business application; can present a portfolio to demonstrate
• Demonstrable knowledge of prevailing usability principles and techniques, including in research and information architecture
• Experience building teams with the right mix of the common user experience competencies for the type and maturity of the organization
• Has partnered with product management and software engineering leaders to establish and improve practical product design working models
• At least five years’ experience working with agile development and rapid release cycles
• At least three years’ experience directly managing teams with at least three people; having recruited, terminated and successfully managed performance multiple times
• Experience leading, or participating in the leadership of, user assistance (technical publication or content strategy) functions
• Has been materially involved with software and software documentation localization
• Has worked with contracted talent or handled a vendor relationship
• A knack for getting complicated domains and multi-user, process-rich software capabilities, as evidenced by at least one thing in your portfolio
• Effective spoken and written English communication skills
• Applicable domain expertise, such as in IT, cloud computing, financial management and business intelligence
• Exposure to the enterprise direct-sales model; having confronted the challenge of large intra-customer user bases and company-critical capabilities; and having navigated direct-sales, marketing and product management in this model
• A Seattle-local network of user experience contacts to draw upon for recruiting and with which to share challenges and solutions
• Having lead the establishment of a long-term, suite-wide UX vision, with lessons learned
• Data visualization chops with experience in Tableau, PowerBI or Qlikview or the like
• Capable in Axure and Sketch
• Experience using interviews, usability testing and usage metrics to establish user characteristics and requirements
• Experience with video, interactive training and other information delivery models
• Familiarity with modern front-end development technology and frameworks
Apptio (NASDAQ: APTI) is the business management system of record for hybrid IT. We transform the way IT runs its business and makes decisions. With our cloud-based applications, IT leaders manage, plan and optimize their technology investments across on-premises and cloud. With Apptio, IT leaders become strategic partners to the business by demonstrating value of IT investments, accelerate innovation and shift their technology investments from running the business to digital innovation. Hundreds of customers choose Apptio as their business system of record for hybrid IT. For more information, please visit www.Apptio.com.
Apptio Inc. is not open to 3rd party solicitation or resumes for our posted FTE positions. Resumes received from 3rd party agencies that are unsolicited will be considered complimentary.
Apptio, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Apptio, Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.