Graphic Designer, Editorial at PitchBook
At PitchBook we work to provide global professionals with comprehensive data on the entire venture capital, private equity and M&A landscape so they can discover and execute opportunities with confidence. We credit our success and rapid growth to our cutting-edge products, customer centered attitude and ability to embrace and drive change.
In just over a decade, PitchBook has reached over 1,300 global employees with offices worldwide, and we're not slowing down! Consistently recognized as a Best Place to Work, our culture is at the heart of our success and is driven by excellence, inclusion, and fun. At PitchBook we're committed to fostering an open and collaborative work environment.
About the Role:
The Graphic Designer prioritizes on higher-need, more challenging design initiatives, while still supporting production across all PitchBook editorial needs. In addition, the Graphic Designer takes a more active role in maintaining and contributing to processes and style guides. Note: Once the grade of Graphic Designer is obtained, the role of Lead becomes possible.
A Graphic Designer's focus is becoming:
- Highly proficient in advanced design challenges
- An expert in PitchBook style guides & processes
This comes from:
- Production across multiple types of PitchBook content
- A focus on more challenging design initiatives
- Assisting on and tackling select special projects
- Contributing to maintenance of the PitchBook design style guide
- Acquiring advanced understanding of PitchBook content genres and styles
This role calls for an experienced graphical storyteller-someone who is interested in helping develop a narrative using building blocks of data and analysis, weaving them together to present impactful, clear visual content. In addition, the role will involve direct collaboration with not only designers in other departments but more junior designers, and thus calls for someone with the capability and desire to mentor and provide direction.
More broadly speaking, PitchBook's editorial graphic designer will collaborate with various teams across the department to develop visuals and imagery that strengthen the impact of our many editorial products, including research reports and partner content designed to client specifications and branding. This person will also help contribute to the direction of our visual strategy and elevate our design capabilities across new and existing projects.
The Publishing team within the Editorial department at PitchBook works with multiple stakeholders, primarily research analysts, to create high-quality publications of cutting-edge private financial markets research. This team of designers and editors focus on excellence in storytelling across all relevant avenues, from visual design to innovation in depictions of data to strength and accuracy of narrative and details.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate technical command of tools and capacity to handle multiple projects across all of editorial, e.g. newsletter illustrations, charts on demand, market maps for media clients, on an as-needed basis, establishing excellence and contributing to high customer satisfaction
- Collaborate with other departments as need be on maintenance of PitchBook branding and style
- Contribute to production on high-priority projects, executing at a high level; prioritize more challenging projects
- Participate in and contribute to design critiques as part of team feedback
- Investigate and utilize new tools for more advanced projects as needed, e.g. Ceros
- Contribute to general improvement across report templates as designated by team leads
- Demonstrate successful cross-collaboration with other departments on improving process flow and joint project development
- Demonstrate advanced understanding of private markets in order to help elevate storytelling
- Demonstrate successful strategies in contributing to recurring syncs to coordinate team efforts
- Innovate new types of products and projects in collaboration with research analysts and team leads
- Demonstrate tracked record in revamping select products and templates as needed to refresh design, look and feel
- Collaborate with project stakeholders and help guide creative strategy
- Generate fresh ideas for how to interpret storylines and datasets
- Leverage photo libraries to create compelling supporting imagery for magazine features
- Collaborate with production team to produce templates and processes that drive standardization and efficiency
- Enhance data visualization efforts by developing designs that bring PitchBook's interactive data to life
- Support the vision and values of the company through role modeling and encouraging desired behaviors
- Participate in various company initiatives and projects as requested
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required.
- 4-6+ years of previous experience
- Excellent graphic design skills
- Advanced proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite
- Demonstrated ability to achieve understanding of editorial brand
- Demonstrated understanding of how to elevate data-driven storytelling through design; develop and refine command of variety of aesthetic approaches
- Experience in producing long-form content such as annual publications for nonprofits
- Strong written and verbal communicator
- Familiarity with business, financial markets and financial terminology a plus
- Ability to manage overlapping deadlines and/or experience in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency with the MS Office suite including in-depth knowledge of Outlook, Word, and Excel with the ability to pick up new systems and software easily
If you are ready to start the conversation about how you might contribute to all the happenings at PitchBook, submit your resume today! PitchBook appreciates and respects diversity, and as such, we are an equal opportunity employer.