Our mission is to protect life.
We’re out to make the world a safer place by solving big problems and taking on the public safety challenges of our time. From our company's inception building the TASER device to a full suite of hardware and software solutions, we are focused on providing police agencies with the state-of-the-art devices and services they need to successfully serve and protect us. In the next few years, we're going to eliminate the burden of paperwork in policing, so officers can increase the time they spend building relationships and serving in their communities. We’ll put video at the heart of the police record so our justice system can get to the truth faster. And we won't stop innovating until the bullet is rendered obsolete.
It’s a big mission, but it’s one we’ll pursue relentlessly every single day.
You aren’t like everybody else. You aim a little higher. You reach a little further. Your experience is much broader than just a previous career or a few past jobs. You've been listening, learning, and paying attention to recent events which have demonstrated to you why building world-class technology for Public Safety is so important. You do more because it matters to you. And when it comes to looking for that next opportunity, you want to do work that matters to others.
At Axon, we build connected devices such as body cameras powered by an industry-leading digital evidence management platform. Our hardware, software, and training platforms bring security, efficiency, and transparency to law enforcement and are enabling us to truly change the world. The Axon business is growing rapidly and we are looking for a dedicated and proven Instructional Designer to join our Virtual & Augmented Reality team.
As the primary Instructional Designer for Axon’s VR/AR team, you will be responsible for the ideation, design, and development of specialized curriculum for our customers. You will have a direct impact on the future of training for the entire public safety industry, and by leveraging Axon’s extensive network you will be connected with agencies and individual Subject Matter Experts that can speak to the needs of public safety today. The training curriculum you develop will have an impact on thousands of public safety organizations around the world. You will use virtual and augmented reality to help achieve training outcomes that have not yet been realized, and do so at scale. You will join an interdisciplinary team tackling the biggest challenges in public safety training head-on, including immersive VR-based empathy development training and de-escallation training to help officers engage with the communities they serve with greater awareness and safety.
We seek to accomplish this while abiding to the following guiding principles:
Build AR and VR Solutions for Social Good: With our mission to Protect Life, we develop AR/VR solutions that benefit both law enforcement and the community, while addressing key issues in society.
Empower Agencies with Data: Deliver ongoing data and analysis that provide agencies with key insights that enable them to make decisions that result in building better, more efficient, and positive programs.
Develop an Active and Diverse Virtual Platform: Leverage the latest in AR & VR technologies to create a robust portfolio of solutions and the highest-quality content, that enable users to be more effective in their roles and manage the challenges of 21st century public safety.
Your Day to Day
- Create engaging learning activities and compelling course content that enhances retention and transfer of skills, and incorporates VR/AR technologies as a mechanism for learning
- Visit and communicate directly with our customers to understand their training needs and workflows
- Work with Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) and identify each target audience’s training needs
- State instructional end goals and create content that matches them
- Visualize instructional graphics, the training interface, and the finished product
- Conduct instructional research and analysis on learners and contexts
- Apply tested instructional design theories, practices and methods
- Provide exercises and activities that enhance the learning process
- Create supporting curriculum and lessons that support/inform VR/AR content
- Decide on the criteria used to judge learner’s performance and develop assessment instruments
- Maintain project documentation and course folders
- 6+ years of relevant work experience in Instructional Design, Learning and Development and/or Training Development (within an e-learning / EdTech / comparable environment)
- Willing and able to travel 5-10 days per quarter
- Proven success in transforming content into informative, engaging, and compelling learning experiences
- Experience planning, developing, and delivering a complete curriculum with measurable results
- Visual design skills (Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator) and ability to develop storyboards
- Ability to write effective copy, instructional text, audio scripts/video scripts
- Proven strength in project/product management
- Periodic travel is required, 5-10 days per quarter
- M.A. in Instructional Design
- Experience developing curriculum that incorporates VR/AR technologies
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary and 401K with employer match
- Discretionary paid time off
- Robust parental leave policy
- An award-winning office/working environment
- Ride along with real police officers in real life situations, see them use technology, get inspired
- And more...
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.