Join Avalara to build learning content for a new industry. We’re taking automation to a new level with the goal of being a part of every transaction in the world. We know that giving customers the information they need is critical to our success. As an instructional media developer at Avalara, you’ll help us get there by developing exceptional learning experiences that enable customers to set up and use our products. Our content includes product user interface text, help documentation, and training. training.avalara.com
About the Job
Set the standard for excellence in customer education at Avalara. Create visuals and media that are innovative, effective, visually-compelling, and intuitive. Develop assets to support self-paced, instructor-led, and blended experiences as a senior member of a small but growing instructional design team.
- Use your expertise in media effectiveness, visual storytelling, and instructional design to create graphics, videos, and interactive learning content
- Work with instructional designers to create scripts, storyboards, and graphics
- Work with Avalara’s marketing team to create a visual design style and associated visual assets that are modern, professional, on-brand, and that enhance communication
- Handle the full pre/production/post cycle for audio-video projects. Conduct or supervise audio recording sessions and video shoots from both a creative and technical perspective: set up and operate microphones, lights, cameras, and other equipment
- Edit videos, including creating simple motion graphics and animations to enhance learning and engagement
- Identify, select, and supervise vendors to create digital assets that are too complex or time-consuming to produce in-house
- Apply your knowledge of UX principles to influence the look and feel of our LMS and other digital experiences
- Serve as a consultant on instructional media techniques and best practices to other teams that are involved in producing customer, partner, or employee-facing learning
You get the big picture, and you execute with efficiency and detail.
- Your portfolio shows that you can produce professional and creative instructional media that’s tight, audience-focused, and creates genuine "aha" moments
- You have a technical background and are comfortable with relevant software development tools and concepts
- You’re a strong collaborator, capable of working closely with others to achieve project objectives in a fast-paced environment. You give and receive feedback honestly and gracefully. You can incorporate and execute on others’ ideas with as much passion as you do your own.
- You know how to do "guerilla production"—achieving professional results on a tight schedule and lean production budget
- You pour as much energy into content updates as original material
- You’re able to support an established bi-coastal and growing global Avalara University presence (opportunity to travel up to 20%)
- You’re humble despite all that
Be prepared to share examples demonstrating these qualifications during the interview process.
- 3-5 years collaborating with IDs and SMEs to develop compelling graphics, infographics, animations, screen-cap videos, and interview-style videos
- 3-5 years applying Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator/Photoshop/Premier/After Effects, etc.), Articulate 360, Camtasia, and other tools of the trade
- 3-5 years managing media assets to support contribution and syndication by distributed team members
- 2-4 years using rapid prototyping techniques to manage efficient design and development cycles
- Project management experience using Agile Product Development and Lean methodology
- Experience sourcing and managing vendor relationships
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world.
Avalara offers more than 600 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers. Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions for customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and overseas in the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.