Chewy strives to be the most trusted and convenient online destination for pet parents (and partners), everywhere. The Chewy Product Design and Research team are a hard-working, collaborative, and fun-loving team of designers, researchers and builders, crafting experiences that aim to delight customers (and the businesses and veterinarians that support them) with unprecedented ease and convenience, empowering them to keep their pets happy and healthy.
We are seeking a Principal Product Designer to play a critical role in realizing Chewy’s vision, driving the conception and creation of compelling new mobile experiences that grow and deepen relationships with pet parents. This person will be a thought leader for the end-to-end user experience of our mobile experiences throughout Chewy, working across teams to deliver an app that is a “must have” for any pet parent. You’ll have the opportunity to think and act big, exercising continuous innovation and a bias for action, coupled with thoughtful experimentation. The ideal candidate will be a systems-level design thinker and visionary, with strong customer instincts and outstanding design intuition. Your primary goal will be to ensure an unparalleled customer experience that enables our customers, businesses and veterinarian partners to accomplish their goals in the most elegant, efficient, and enjoyable way possible. To achieve this, you will be responsible for driving the design process and propelling teams to completion - working closely with our partners in research, product management and engineering to help shape the next generation of mobile experiences on Chewy.
The ideal candidate is a passionate, yet pragmatic designer that can analyze customer behaviors, identify opportunities to solve problems, and create an innovative customer experience in a fast-paced and collaborative environment. You should be passionate about working strategically with executives and other senior leaders to create and deliver big, visionary and customer-focused experiences.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead new creative and holistic thinking across diverse product releases, platforms, and devices; drive the direction, style, and methodology of design and accessibility.
- Champion cohesion and consistency in UX design that unites a growing family of pet parent health /services features, while continuing to nurture and evangelize a fervent culture of invention and innovation.
- Lead and be a strategic thought leader in how to implement unmatched experiences that represent the most customer-centric intersection between design, business, content, and technology.
- Foster Chewy’s culture and principles within the group while setting new standards in executional and operational excellence.
- A total of 15+ years of experience in User Experience Design that includes 10+ years of leading large-scale initiatives.
- Fluency in best practices for User Interface Design, Information Architecture, and Interaction Design; practical knowledge of User Centered Design processes and lifecycles; ability to provide and effectively communicate strategic and tactical recommendations based on quantitative/qualitative data and optimal Design practices.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the latest design concepts, emerging technologies, and other developments in the user experience field.
- Effectiveness in working across organizational boundaries to influence and deliver results.
- Exemplary analytical skills and high judgment.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills; the ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization.
- The ideal resource will have worked in user experience design groups in large, product-based organizations; they would also have experience working in a complex environment, with a proven ability to consider the impact of their decisions, past their own products.
- Able to translate concepts into concrete depictions to clarify ideas and advance collaboration based on shared understanding.
- Bachelor’s, or equivalent degree, in Design, HCI, or related field or equivalent professional experience with the design field.
- Experience designing large-scale systems and applications
- Strong bias for action including the ability to juggle multiple priorities and effectively deliver in a fast paced, dynamic environment
- Possess excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal and analytical skills
- Passion for the role of design within an organization and the ability to develop and mentor design talent