Principal UX Design Manager at Smartsheet
At Smartsheet, our purpose is to empower everyone to achieve more. As a member of the Experience Design team, you'll have the opportunity to shape the future of work, making our category-leading work execution platform valuable, intuitive, elegant, and engaging. As the Senior Principal UX Design Manager with a focus on the core views, app ecosystem, onboarding, and premium products, you will lead and grow a team of UX Designers in applying principles of design thinking to conceptualize engaging and personalized user experiences for our web and mobile apps. You will represent the end user and evangelize human-centered methodologies across the product team to ensure innovative designs that truly meet people’s needs from first-time users to seasoned experts.
This role will report to the Sr. Director of Experience Design and will be located in our Bellevue, WA Headquarters.
Who We Are:
- We are a large and growing Experience Design Team of UX Designers, Researchers, Visual Designers, UX Writers, and Customer Experience Architects who love what we do and help our customers love what they do!
- We’re an authentic, scrappy and passionate bunch who partner with our respective product teams to help drive product strategy but also come together often as an XD team to support each other in driving our holistic experience vision forward.
- We are setting the experience bar for enterprise applications so our customers feel empowered, inspired and connected.
What You’ll Do:
- Help establish, drive and articulate a vision for the future of design at Smartsheet.
- Define the user experience strategy and vision for your areas of oversight.
- Establish goals and target metrics that design decisions can be mapped to.
- Manage the day-to-day and strategic activities of UX designers, making sure that the human-centered process is properly planned and followed.
- Mentor and coach UX designers in a motivating and supportive manner and keep the team on top of emerging UX techniques and tools.
- Develop career paths and programs tailored to individual team member professional development.
- Gain a deep understanding of user needs and goals and communicate them to cross functional product teams.
- Create alignment with other groups within the company by working collaboratively with product teams to launch new features and evolve existing ones based on an understanding of user needs, business objectives and technical constraints.
- Translate business goals into innovative, creative and engaging product experiences.
Who You Are:
- You love solving problems
- You have an insatiable curiosity and love to learn
- You love to explore and experiment
- You love using both sides of your brain
- You aren’t afraid of being wrong – you are a truth seeker
- You aren’t afraid to give and receive feedback
- You take your craft and your field seriously
- You love beautiful things
- You are a systems thinker and a design thinker
- You never lose sight of the vision and know that small changes add up to huge results
- You do sweat the details
- You care deeply
- You care about the people you work with
- You care about the people you design for
- You nurture the careers of the people you lead
- You care about great design that is grounded in qualitative and quantitative insights
What You Bring:
- 10+ years experience designing exceptional experiences for complex, data-driven web and mobile applications with at least five years as a manager leading, growing, inspiring and mentoring direct reports.
- Successful experience leading a large team of designers (10+).
- Experience designing for SaaS platforms.
- Passion for the field of User Experience. Self motivated and enthusiastic; knows when it's necessary to seek out guidance.
- Experience facilitating activities to gather insights on user needs and goals and conducting usability testing.
- Experience finding simple, innovative solutions for complex problems.
- Experience with Agile methodologies.
- Strong visual design skills and sensibilities.
- Expert in Sketch, Axure or other visual design, wireframing, and prototyping tools. Proficiency in rapid prototyping.
- Highly organized with planning, conducting, and tracking work.
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills; ability to work successfully with teams across the organization, including Product Management and Engineering.
- Ability to articulate design decisions and advocate for the user.
In 2005, Smartsheet was founded on the idea that teams and millions of people worldwide deserve a better way to deliver their very best work. Today, the company delivers a leading cloud-based platform for work execution, empowering organizations to plan, capture, track, automate, and report on work at scale, resulting in more efficient processes and better business outcomes. Smartsheet went public on the New York Stock Exchange in April 2018 and currently enables collaboration, better decision making, and accelerated innovation for over 76,000 domain-based customers in 190 countries, including 96 of the Fortune 100.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at Smartsheet are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.