Product Designer, New Initiatives
Remitly is on a mission to transform the lives of immigrants through trusted financial services. The New Initiatives team is a startup inside a startup, building big, new, high growth businesses beyond the core remittance product. It’s all the best parts of an early stage startup, accelerated by the assets and competitive advantage Remitly has already built.
About this role:
We are looking for a Product Designer with a diverse and broad skill set in interaction and visual design who delivers extraordinary customer experiences. You can easily transition from contributing to product vision, to designing the overall experience, to designing UI elements, to sitting with customers doing usability testing. You were mobile-first 5 years ago. Now you’re ready to holistically design a new mobile experience that immigrants love and tell all their friends about.
To be successful in this role, you will need to think big in terms of product vision and small in terms of getting every detail and animation right. You enjoy working at the pace of an early stage startup: delivering quickly on high fidelity mockups, prototypes, and design assets, and iterating often based on insights from customers. You’ll surprise and delight the team and customers with your creativity and clarity of thought. You’re flexible enough to extend your work into marketing campaigns or other communications that test how valuable what we’re building is for our customers. You can start from scratch with little guidance and quickly give form to great product.
As the first designer on the New Initiatives team, you’ll work side by side with a product manager, a product marketing manager, and an engineering team who all firmly believe that design is an equal partner to engineering in creating a great product and that your role is about creating not only how our product looks, but also how it works. You’ll report to a product lead.
You should have:
- Demonstrated experience (e.g. a strong portfolio from about 5 years in a similar role) in designing beautiful and engaging consumer experiences across multiple platforms, especially native mobile apps and mobile web.
- A passion for people and cultures
- A positive attitude
- An ability to deliver for impact and outcomes, not just output
- A highly developed instinct for how experiences reinforce brand preference
- An eagerness to learn, grow, adapt, expand your skills, and try new things
- Flexibility and openness to critique
- Ability to take initiative, act within ambiguity, and deliver “end-to-end”
- Solid knowledge of modern design tools (Sketch, Framer X, InVision, etc.)
- An understanding of motion, animation, and fluidity — how they contribute to the experience
- Technical acumen and understanding, including an understanding of A/B testing and validation
What you’ll do:
- Get to know and design for our customers
- Design and deliver product UI and UX assets (mockups, redlines, design elements, specifications, etc.)
- Develop and present product prototypes
- Generate and help vet product ideas
- Assist and sometimes lead design research projects to better understand our customers
- Iterate designs based on customer insights from both qualitative and quantitative design research
- Review and provide feedback for others’ work
- Organize design assets in a way that can scale beyond yourself
- Keep the big picture and long-term in mind as you design
Bonus points for:
- Experience working for a startup
- Passion side projects
- Experience designing localized/internationalized products for cross-cultural audiences
- Basic understanding of HTML/CSS
When you apply, include a link to your portfolio (and password if applicable) in your resume and in the website field.
Who we are:
Remitly is the largest independent digital remittance company headquartered in the United States, transferring over $6 billion in annualized volume from its customers in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, and Australia to loved ones throughout the world. The company’s proprietary global transfer network includes its easy-to-use mobile app, which makes the process of sending money faster, easier, more transparent and less costly by eliminating the forms, codes, agents, extra time and fees typical of the traditional, century-old money transfer process. Remitly is backed by industry-leading investors, World Bank’s International Finance Corporation (IFC), Naspers’ PayU, Silicon Valley Bank, Stripes Group, DFJ, DN Capital, QED Investors, Trilogy Equity Partners, Bezos Expeditions, Founders’ Co-Op, and TomorrowVentures. The company is headquartered in Seattle, with additional offices in London, the Philippines, and Nicaragua. For more information, visit remitly.com.
Remitly is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at Remitly are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
Remitly is an eVerify Employer.