We’re all in at DoubleDown. Are you?
Are you a video game designer who wants to help turn an entire genre on its head? This could be your gig. We are seeking an enthusiastic designer who can select the best elements from video games to surpass antiquated Casino apps and define a whole new world of entertainment, or both individual casino games and the entire player experience.
We would like you to start from a crisp understanding of the player and the games and to build new experiences that are evolutionary in nature and draw from the best mechanics and ideas from casual, console, social, and free-to-play games – in other words, staying true to what our core player wants, but also appealing to a broader palate.
Armed with great design and human interaction skills, an understanding of chance, casino, casual, and free-to-play games, and with a deliberate focus on providing fun, engagement, and delight to our dedicated audience, you will be part of a team of designers working alongside artists and engineers who are ready to crack the code of First User Experience, app-wide metagame features, and eco-systems that highlight engagement, retention, and virality.
Be a high roller at DoubleDown
We're DoubleDown Interactive, a talented team of approximately 130 Software Engineers, Game Designers, Artists, Producers, Marketers, Analytical Experts, and more. Located in Seattle’s International District, we create fun, authentic casino-style entertainment via free-to-play social and mobile games, enjoyed by millions of players worldwide. As a leader in the social casino space, we continue to revolutionize through constant innovation. Known for our fun and collaborative culture, we move quickly to deliver exciting online game experiences to casino enthusiasts and social gamers alike.
What you should bring to the table
- A long-standing passion for playing games of multiple genres and platforms and a solid background in video games and free-to-play games
- Graduate or post-graduate degree in game design or similar field with 5+ years of industry experience shipping multiple games
- A strong knowledge of scripting languages and an ability to create working prototypes
- The ability to communicate effectively with engineering, art, UX, production, and business personnel
- An unrelenting self-motivated spirit and the ability to take initiative!
Other cards you might be holding
- A healthy passion for casino games with a good understanding of odds and player psychology
- An equally healthy passion for lighthearted puzzle games and so called “minigames”
- A well-rounded designer capable of making contributions in all branches of discipline from game systems to storytelling
- A naturally curious mind interested in zeroing in on what existing and potential players want
- Thrives in a semi-structured, dynamic and entrepreneurial environment
Placing your best bet - the responsibilities
- You will work with our Senior Producer Manager and the rest of the design team to plan and execute on a wide variety of social gaming initiatives
- Help to create the designs, documentation, systems mechanics, as well as guide the implementation of game features and systems with eyes on engagement, retention and monetization
- Work with production, art and UX design to bring these plans to fruition
- Find novel ways to implement new features with a high chance of striking a chord with our audience via prototyping, user testing, and game design collaborative jams
Hitting the jackpot
During your first year, you will help create, document, and prototype a variety of minigames; both casino-related and otherwise. You will be delivering the design documentation to explain key aspects of the work to other disciplines for development as you watch your designs come to life. Help refine your features to meet key performance metrics, including improvements to UX, player engagement and monetization.
Cashing in on the comps
Due to our entire studio working remote, the cool things we do for employees have slightly changed. Here is a quick glance of fun things we have done as a studio during this time!
- Take a break and participate in our bi-weekly (sometimes themed) trivia session!
- Stay zen throughout the week by taking advantage of one or more of our virtual yoga classes.
- Hungry? Anticipate monthly snack boxes courtesy of Garten!
- Need some caffeine? We’ve got you covered too! Fun themed coffee boxes get sent straight to your door, enough to last a couple months.
- Does your home “office” need some comfort? Take advantage of our office chair lending program!
- Still not comfortable? Schedule a virtual visit from our team of ergonomics assessment professionals.
- Miss seeing your coworkers faces? We also do virtual company events! Here is a snapshot of things we have done and are looking forward to doing:
- Pride Bingo
- Wine Tasting & Trivia
- Escape Room Extravaganza
- Painting Class
- Still hungry? Depending on the month, you’ll get carefully curated goodie boxes, to feed you and your family! What do you mean? I’m glad you asked. Here is a short list of goodies boxes that have already gone out to employees:
- Summer Picnic in a Box (Hawaiian Themed)
- DDI Farmers Market Box (Filled with local goodies to support the community!)
- Oktoberfest Box
- Dia De Los Muertos & Halloween Treats Box (eagerly awaiting this one 😊)
- Giving back to the community is just as important as giving to our employees. This year we sponsored a company match for Juneteenth and hosted a virtual bike challenge benefiting the Boys & Girls Club of King County. Later this year we will partner once again with NBCF, and other local organizations.
- As if all of this isn't cool enough, you'll love our benefit package.
- We offer medical, dental, vision, prescription coverage, maternity/paternity leave, disability protection (short- and long-term) and a 401(k) employer match and both traditional and Roth plans.
- Not sure where to start with benefits? Health Advocate is here to help navigate benefits with you, like finding a doctor or help answer any medical related questions 24/7!
- Every team member receives 15 days of vacation, 40 hours of sick time, 2 personal floating holidays, and 11 paid calendar holidays per year.
- With everything that’s going on in the world right now, we’ve got your back!
- Between our Employee Assistance Program and our medical provider, you have up to 8 free counseling visits annually.
- Our Simply Engaged and Rally Wellness Programs provide at home workouts, wellness resources and healthy recipes. Need more motivation? They also reward your healthy habits with gift cards!
- And finally, to give you peace of mind, InfoArmor provides around the clock identity theft protection.
- Combine all of this with our amazing work/life balance and company-matched retirement options, and you have the dream job!
Looking for another reason we're the best place in Seattle to work? We're committed to our role as an Equal Opportunity Employer – we embrace a diverse mix of voices and create a positive environment where everyone belongs. We don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our communities. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. DoubleDown is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you need help completing your application, let us know! Email us at [email protected] and one of our awesome HR team members will get you everything you need. We look forward to meeting you soon!
To be considered, you must be at least 18 years of age with the ability to successfully pass a security criminal background investigation. You must be legally authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship as DoubleDown does not sponsor, renew, or extend immigration visas for this position.
DoubleDown partners with E-Verify, an Internet-based system that allows businesses to determine the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States.