Our mission is to protect life.
We’re out to make the world a safer place by solving big problems and taking on the public safety challenges of our time. From our company's inception building the TASER device to a full suite of hardware and software solutions, we are focused on providing police agencies with the state-of-the-art devices and services they need to successfully serve and protect us. In the next few years, we're going to eliminate the burden of paperwork in policing, so officers can increase the time they spend building relationships and serving in their communities. We’ll put video at the heart of the police record so our justice system can get to the truth faster. And we won't stop innovating until the bullet is rendered obsolete.
It’s a big mission, but it’s one we’ll pursue relentlessly every single day.
You aren’t like everybody else. You aim a little higher. You reach a little further. Your experience is much broader than just a previous career or a few past jobs. You've been listening, learning, and paying attention to recent events which have demonstrated to you why building world-class technology for Public Safety is so important. You do more because it matters to you. And when it comes to looking for that next opportunity, you want to do work that matters to others.
At Axon, we build connected devices such as body cameras powered by an industry-leading digital evidence management platform. Our hardware, software, and training platforms bring security, efficiency, and transparency to law enforcement and are enabling us to truly change the world. The Axon business is growing rapidly and we are looking for a dedicated and proven Senior Product Designer to join our Virtual & Augmented Reality team.
As the founding member and lead for Axon’s VR & AR Design team, you will work with VR and AR technologies to conceive, test and build immersive user experiences that will define the future of augmented and virtual reality use in Public Safety applications. We see leveraging the technology for training applications to be the first stop on our journey.
You will join an interdisciplinary team tackling the biggest challenges in public safety training head-on, including immersive VR-based empathy development training and de-escalation training to help officers engage with the communities they serve with greater awareness and safety. We seek to accomplish this while abiding to the following guiding principles:
1: Build AR and VR Solutions for Social Good: With our mission to Protect Life, we develop AR & VR solutions that benefit both law enforcement and the community, while addressing key issues in society.
2: Empower Agencies with Data: Deliver ongoing data and analysis that provide agencies with key insights that enable them to make decisions that result in building better, more efficient, and positive programs.
3: Develop an Active and Diverse Virtual Platform: Leverage the latest in AR & VR technologies to create a robust portfolio of solutions and the highest-quality content, that enable users to be more effective in their roles and manage the challenges of 21st century public safety.
Your Day to Day
- Lead product design for Axon’s Virtual and Augmented Reality program. You'll own the full design process, from initial research and discovery through concepting, detailed design, testing and working with Engineering on implementation.
- Turn complex interactions involving a diverse set of users, a complex physical environment, social interactions, regional differences, and an ecosystem of hardware devices and software applications, into simple experience solutions.
- Collaborate with Product Managers and UX Researchers to initiate, execute, and extract insights using a variety of research methods: observational, interviews, participatory, usability testing, competitive analysis, etc.
- Collaborate with other design leads across product teams to ensure great user experiences across all of our products.
- Contribute to defining global design patterns, vision, and processes for Axon products.
- Contribute to defining the general product design vision and process at Axon.
- Be an ambassador and champion for the design culture at Axon.
- Present products and feature ideas and execution up to executive level.
- Stay on top of industry trends and emerging technologies.
- 6+ years of product design experience with at least 2 years of leading major product design initiatives.
- 2+ years experience researching, designing and shipping complete VR and/or AR solutions or games with a moderate to high level of complexity.
- Bachelor's degree in Interaction Design, Graphic Design, Industrial Design, HCI or related field.
- Proficiency in 3D design applications, such as Unity, C4D, Houdini, Maya, 3dsMax, and Blender.
- A proven track record of applying user-centered design processes and methodology to product definition, design, and development.
- Experience with every stage of the design process, including: research, sketches, wireframes, high fidelity mock-ups, prototyping, and usability testing.
- A broad skillset with deep specialization in at least one area (3D, IA, UX, visual, etc).
- Highly knowledgeable of the latest design tools and proficient at quickly learning new ones.
- A great portfolio of work that demonstrates a breadth of visual and interaction design skills.
- Master’s degree in Interaction Design, Graphic Design, Industrial Design, HCI or related field.
- Experience with hardware interaction design.
- Experience with mobile app design, specifically Android.
- In-depth knowledge of game user experience design and game theory.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary and 401K with employer match
- Discretionary paid time off
- Robust parental leave policy
- An award-winning office/working environment
- Ride along with real police officers in real life situations, see them use technology, get inspired
- And more...
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.