Senior User Researcher
At Remitly, we help immigrant communities around the world send $6 billion a year to their loved ones. Sending money is faster, easier, and costs less with our all-digital money transfer platform. Our vision is to transform the lives of immigrants and their families by providing the most trusted financial service products on the planet. At Remitly, your work has a direct and positive impact on people around the globe. Your work matters, every day.
The Consumer Insights team is core to customer centricity. Using diverse research methods, the team develops deep understandings of the global Remitly audience, increasing the relevance and impact of every touchpoint. We provide insights for Marketing, Product, Business Management, and Design teams across the organization, driving short-term and long-term growth. We keep one eye on the needs of our million-plus current customers and one on the hundreds of millions we have yet to reach.
We are looking for a Senior User Researcher to lead information gathering and analyses, from unmoderated tests to getting out in the field with our customers. This will be a highly visible role in our global organization. If you are curious about people, like working on a variety of projects, have a habit of poking around and figuring things out, and enjoy seeing a tangible impact from your work, this role is for you.
You will enable Remitly to better understand current and potential customers: Who are they? What motivates them? How can we solve problems for them? You will apply creative solutions and figure out ways to glean insights using a range of techniques: unmoderated and moderated user tests, usability tests, journey mapping, card sorting, co-creation, interviews, observations, and more. You will explore brand-new terrain, compare versions of our product, and evaluate where we are succeeding and where we can improve. You will champion the voice of the customer.
Remitly is a highly collaborative environment, and you will work across a range of teams and roles, including UX designers, product managers, and marketers. You will evangelize product research and consult and train various teams in best practices. You will move quickly, adding velocity to sprints. Your work will help to lead Remitly strategy and direction.
In this role, you will operate with a range of freedom and flexibility. You will anticipate needs and drive strategy, as well as respond to stakeholders’ requests. You will decide what is relevant to pass on, and distill that information into actionable recommendations.
You will be part of a team of empathetic partners who collaborate and support one another. This role will offer you plenty of opportunities to learn, grow, and develop your toolkit.
- Plan, recruit for, and conduct user research for product teams using methods such as usability lab studies, ethnographic field studies, competitive evaluations, participatory design sessions, surveys, and interviews
- Oversee ad hoc and recurring studies (e.g., weekly or biweekly tests, regular and ad hoc sprints, quarterly evaluations and benchmarking)
- Consult with and support various stakeholders, especially UX design team
- Develop customer journey maps
- Examine various sources of primary user data with tools like SQL to provide background for various studies
- Recruit participants
- Report key findings, highlighting how customer experience affects business results, and provide actionable recommendations
- Participate in the new Voice of the Customer program
- Keep up to date with UX research techniques and emerging research tools
- 5+ years of research experience in consumer-facing (B2C) roles
- Expertise in a range of user research techniques—including usability studies, journey mapping, card sorting, tree tests, interviews, surveys, experiments, and observations—and the drive to learn new techniques as needed
- Ability to turn complex problems into simple hypotheses and study recommendations
- Ability to translate raw data into a language stakeholders can relate to
- Self-directed, thriving in ambiguous environments
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects with varying degrees of complexity
- Excellent writing and speaking skills
- Ability to communicate data-based decisions to individual contributors as well as leadership
- Strong social science background (e.g., sociology, psychology, anthropology, political science, international studies)
- Foreign language (including Spanish, French, German, Polish, Romanian, Vietnamese)
- Cross-cultural experience
- Advanced degree or UX certifications
Who we are:
Remitly is the largest independent digital remittance company headquartered in the United States, transferring over $6 billion in annualized volume from its customers in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, and Australia to loved ones throughout the world. The company’s proprietary global transfer network includes its easy-to-use mobile app, which makes the process of sending money faster, easier, more transparent and less costly by eliminating the forms, codes, agents, extra time and fees typical of the traditional, century-old money transfer process. Remitly is backed by industry-leading investors, World Bank’s International Finance Corporation (IFC), Naspers’ PayU, Silicon Valley Bank, Stripes Group, DFJ, DN Capital, QED Investors, Trilogy Equity Partners, Bezos Expeditions, Founders’ Co-Op, and TomorrowVentures. The company is headquartered in Seattle, with additional offices in London, the Philippines, and Nicaragua. For more information, visit remitly.com.
Remitly is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at Remitly are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
Remitly is an eVerify Employer.