Sr. Instructional Designer
Join Avalara as a senior leader building learning content for a new industry. We’re taking automation to a new level with our goal of being a part of every transaction in the world. We know that giving customers the information they need is critical to our success. As a senior instructional designer at Avalara, you’ll help us get there by developing an effective training model across products and customer segments. Our content includes product user interface text, interactive guides, help center content, and learning material .
About the Job
Develop curriculum and assets to support self-paced, instructor-led, and blended experiences as a senior member of a small but growing instructional design team.
- Manage the complete content development cycle for your projects to create compelling and engaging experiences.
- Apply industry best practices and internal standards to target, deliver, and measure excellent outcomes.
- Enable a certification and badge program to reward and encourage customer learning.
- Identify ways to increase the satisfaction of self-serve customers, partners, and our partners’ customers.
- Collaborate with subject matter experts to develop eLearning and classroom training content for Avalara University.
- Know your audience. Use data and industry knowledge to build engaging training that even you would want to take.
- Manage your projects effectively. Ideate, plan, and execute with excellence. Document and communicate along the way.
- Use your graphic design, video, and editorial know-how to help produce sharp, concise, and effective content.
You get the big picture, and you execute with efficiency and detail.
- You’re a forward-thinking learning professional. You’re excited by the challenge of teaching voluntary adult learners, and you drive innovation in learning
- You’re a natural collaborator, willing to work through challenges to find the best solution
- You know how to build great content from the ground up. On the other hand, you know when and how to pull something apart and improve it
- You have great ideas and you’re willing to try them
- You ask good questions and contribute to the answers
- You’re empathetic, and enjoy helping others brainstorm and learn
- You’re humble despite all that
Be prepared to share examples demonstrating these qualifications during the interview process.
- 6-8 years developing and managing enterprise-level learning design
- 3-5 years building web-based multimedia content with industry-standard tools, using best practices
- 3-5 years building certification and badging programs
- 2-4 years leading individuals or teams to build learning solutions
- MS in Learning Sciences, Instructional Design, Instructional Technology
- PMP certification, or significant project management experience using Agile Product Development and Lean methodology
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world.
Avalara offers more than 600 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers. Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions for customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and overseas in the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.