Sr Product Designer, DEMs
Our mission is to protect life.
We’re out to make the world a safer place by solving big problems and taking on the public safety challenges of our time. In the next 10 years, we’ll triple the amount of time officers can spend serving their communities. In the next 20, we’ll eliminate paperwork in policing so that officers can focus on what matters. And in the next 50 years, we’ll make the bullet obsolete.
It’s a big mission, but it’s one we’ll pursue relentlessly every single day.
This position will focus on Interview room, which is an important piece of the investigative process. It helps record interviews with victims, witnesses, and suspects to uncover what happened from their perspective and represent their narrative in the investigation. For detectives, it provides them with the tools to capture that information in a secure manner and collaborate with other detectives. The evidence gathered during this process can be pivotal to the investigation and ultimately in achieving justice.
You will be working on understanding investigative workflows across agencies both nationally and internationally as they manage video, audio, photo, and document evidence. This will include designing touch screen and desktop experiences for in-room, live streaming, server management, integration with evidence management systems, and even mobile interview hardware solutions. You will also be supporting localization efforts for several languages and understanding the global differences in law enforcement, public engagement and ethics.
Check out our future vision for Axon products here: https://vimeo.com/221924983
Read about our ethics board: https://www.axon.com/info/ai-ethics
We believe that happy teams take good care of their customers, so we foster a friendly, open, introspective team culture that encourages everyone to speak their mind and deliberately avoids red tape, unnecessary rituals, politics, and jerks. We reserve 2 days per week for focused work without meetings and emphasize planning to keep our work-life balance healthy and sustainable.
We believe we can only succeed if we deeply understand our customers and get to know them personally. We spend time with law enforcement officers to learn about their needs, watch their experience and see the real impact of our work. Your first ride-along with a patrol officer will forever change your perception of what the job is, and what the city is like.
- Own the product experience for interview room. You'll have ownership of the full design process, from initial research and discovery through concepting, detailed design, testing, and ongoing design support.
- Contribute to defining global design patterns, vision, and processes for Axon products.
- Collaborate with product managers in field research with domestic and overseas law enforcement agencies and help transform that research into practical, scalable solutions using a variety of research methods: observational, interviews, participatory, usability testing, competitive analysis, etc.
- Produce artifacts that define and communicate your solutions. It will be up to you, but we generally use a combination of journey maps, architecture diagrams, wireframes, final designs, interaction diagrams, and prototypes.
- Communicate your solutions within the team and across the organization to gain buy-in and support.
- Work closely with business and engineering stakeholders.
- Collaborate with feature and product teams to ensure consistent user experiences across all products.
- Research design trends, customer behavior, competition and current technologies
- 6+ years of software design experience with 2+ years leading full products or large features.
- A degree in Interaction Design, Graphic Design, Industrial Design, HCI, or equivalent experience and skill.
- A proven track record of applying user-centered design processes and methodology to product definition, design, and development. Successful candidates will have experience with every stage of the design process, including: research, sketches, wireframes, high fidelity mock-ups, prototyping, and usability testing.
- You enjoy collaborating on early product definition as much as you enjoy working with the larger product and engineering teams on implementation.
- Strong conceptual skills and proven ability to rapidly prototype and design to communicate ideas to others.
- A broad skillset with deep specialization in at least one area (research, IA, UX, visual, etc).
- Experience with designing for multiple form factors including (web, mobile, or on-device and modalities like touch, voice, or desktop).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to clearly explain your ideas and decisions in a way that anyone can understand.
- Highly knowledgeable of modern design tools and proficient at quickly learning new ones. We currently use Sketch + Invision App, but are always evaluating new tools.
- Able to function both independently and in a collaborative team environment. Comfortable in both leader and follower roles.
- A great portfolio available for review.
Compensation and Benefits
- Award-winning office and working environment with the newest technology.
- Competitive salary and a comprehensive benefit package.
- Discretionary PTO.
- Fun team activities and outings.
- Flexible working hours.
- Options for training in the US.
- Opportunities to ride along with local law enforcement.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Read Full Job Description