Sr. XR UX Designer at Axon
Our mission is to protect life.
We’re out to make the world a safer place by solving big problems and taking on the public safety challenges of our time. From our company's inception building the TASER device to a full suite of hardware and software solutions, we are focused on providing police agencies with state-of-the-art devices and services they need to successfully serve and protect us. In the next few years, we're going to eliminate the burden of paperwork in policing, so officers can increase the time they spend building relationships and serving in their communities. We’ll put video at the heart of police records so our justice system can get to the truth faster. And we won't stop innovating until the bullet is rendered obsolete.
It’s a big mission, but it’s one we’ll pursue relentlessly every single day.
Build AR and VR Solutions for Social Good
We are working with cutting edge technology and need your help to make it all come together. You will join an interdisciplinary team tackling the biggest challenges in public safety training head-on, including immersive VR based empathy, coping and de-escalation training to help officers engage with the communities they serve, with greater awareness and safety.
As one of the expanding members of the Axon’s AR/VR team, the XR UX Designer will be responsible for driving the user experience, plus gameplay in our open world training experiences. This role will partner with engineering, content, UX and user research to create the best immersive experiences for our VR trainings.
We believe that happy teams make the best products, so we foster a friendly, open, introspective team culture that encourages everyone to speak their mind, collaborate together, and have fun. (The team has weekly VR happy hours in headset.)
We believe we can only succeed if we deeply understand our customers and get to know them. We spend a lot of time with law enforcement officers to learn about their needs, watch their experience and see the real impact of our work. We also work closely with our Axon Community Impact team, along with other community subject experts to create our content and curriculum to reflect the needs of both law enforcement + community.
You will be responsible for: designing our open world experience, developing scenarios, gameplay, as well as the user experience of our XR trainings, plus be a strategic partner to the Art, Content, Product Management and Engineering teams. On any given day you may find yourself:
- Creating a series of user flows and UX storyboards and presenting to stakeholders for review.
- Developing a new gameplay idea for the latest scenario and presenting it to the AR/VR team for feedback.
- Following and contributing to the AR/VR visual guidelines for 3D UI.
- Brainstorming with your team about a new scenario.
- Answering a question from a Product Manager about the scenario’s level of difficulty.
- Collaborating with narrative designers about an upcoming scenario.
- Helping to define characters based on subject matter experts and customer feedback.
- Attending stand-up in VR and sharing with the XR team (standing around you as avatars) your daily update.
- Learning more about your customers by assisting User Research with an upcoming play test study.
- Mentoring or giving guidance to one of your fellow designers about how to improve the existing experience.
- Researching the latest trends/experiences in XR —trying them out for yourself in headset.
- Getting into headset and reviewing the latest AR/VR build, talking to an engineer about a bug you found.
- 6+ years experience as a UX Designer, with some experience in XR games/applications.
- A portfolio showcasing how you frame problems, act on insights, and ultimately design user experiences + any gameplay experience
- Experience utilizing a broad range of game design techniques to deliver engaging experiences to end-users.
- Ability to design/implement prototypes, mock ups, task analysis, user flows wireframes, UX storyboards, style guides, and navigational structures.
- Quickly prototype design ideas and iterate through play testing and user feedback for XR experiences
- Understand customer needs and motivations and integrate them into game design to contribute to user experience and functionality.
- In-depth understanding of the design production processes, and experience with the full game development cycle with multiple shipped titles (preferably 3D games or applications).
- Ability to brainstorm with a group, articulate ideas, and tease out feedback from colleagues
- Possess a wide-ranging knowledge of gaming trends
- Able to work effectively with cross-functional teams
- Experience designing for XR platforms, such as Hololens, Oculus, HTC Vive, or PlayStation VR.
- Experience designing for open world games, or interactive nonlinear stories.
- Experience with AI driven or NLP integration experiences.
- Passion for playing games; with a solid understanding of VR games.
- A constant desire to learn, improve, and share with your team.
- Competitive salary and 401K with employer match.
- Discretionary paid time off.
- Robust parental leave policy.
- An award-winning office/working environment.
- Ride along with real police officers in real life situations, explore wide range of third-party VR content, get inspired.
- Get paid to play
- And more...
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.