UX Designer - Contractor
Glowforge is a beautiful device that sits on your desk. It uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard. There is an incredible demand for what we’re creating. It’s not a geeky tool for the tech elite or a garage workshop; we’re crafting an iconic product that is going to change the way people think about creativity. Our customers include consumers, digital designers, crafters, engineers, teachers, artists, and more. It’s already the biggest crowdfunding campaign in history, and now that it’s available at retail, the fun is really starting.
Why We Need You
Our customers surprise and inspire us every day with what they create on Glowforge - whether it’s an heirloom for a special occasion, a functional everyday tool, or a whole line of products for their budding businesses. We take their varied interests, skills and passion and multiply them. We love that our work matters in helping people realize their creativity and build things that amaze.
Our secret is our software, and that’s where you come in. You are an amazing user experience designer who has transformed unbreachable complexity to enchanting simplicity. It is you who will enable every Glowforge owner to unlock their creative superpowers. It’s your design vision and keen customer insight that creates a product our customers love.
Here's What You'll Be Doing
As a designer, the core of your job is taking ideas for delighting customers and turning them into actionable work for our engineering team. You’ll help turn murky ideas into designs that solve our customer’s’ problems and unlock their creativity in ways that astonish and delight them.
- You’ll design conceptual wireframes, interactive prototypes and high-fidelity mockups. - You’ll collaborate closely with product, engineering and marketing teams throughout planning and implementation to develop solutions and provide design guidance.
- You’ll be working in a rapidly iterative environment, constantly launching ‘minimum viable product’ desings to test, measure and learn.
- You’ll be balancing tough trade-offs between a variety of user needs, technical complexity, and business priorities while keeping an eye on long term product vision.
- You’ll constantly dive into analytics, user studies, community forums and support requests to deeply understand current and prospective customers.
- Your focus will be our simple, powerful, and engaging software experience.
- You’ll pitch in from time to time on creating stunning visuals for other teams when they need design help and insight.
You’ll Need These Qualifications:
- You have at least 5 years of interaction design experience working on a consumer-focused software product with engineering and product teams
- Your portfolio demonstrates strong product thinking and user understanding through thoughtful interaction designs, information architecture and user flows.
- You think about design as a system, and have experience creating interaction and visual libraries.
- You are quicker than lightning with your favorite contemporary design tools (for example Sketch, Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign, etc).
- You’re a strong communicator and can articulate design choices to both technical and non-technical audience.
- You’re humble. Your design work isn’t precious to you– you care more about successful outcomes and happy customers than the integrity of your design vision.
- You take initiative. When your projects stall, you’ll walk through brick walls to get them moving again.
- A bachelor’s degree in HCI, interaction design, visual design or equivalent industry experience.
It Would Be Nice If...
- You’ve worked in a startup environment before, and understand the ambiguity (and thrill) that arises and can still move confidently even when guidance is limited.
- You’ve worked on software that interacts with hardware.
- You’ve had experience with front end web development, have a fundamental understanding of responsive web design, and/or coded up prototypes.
- You love making things with your hands – 3D printing, knitting, woodworking, furniture building; it doesn’t matter what.
In your cover letter, in addition to whatever you’d like to say, please tell us about a product that you worked on that you’re proud of, and what contribution you made that you’re most excited about.
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.
Read Full Job Description