We are driven to help customers celebrate memorable moments in life and by doing so we believe our customers deserve an exceptional experience when choosing a piece of jewelry. An experience that leaves them feeling happy and confident that they have found the perfect piece for life. Our standards are among the highest of all jewelers and we provide a superior customer service, extraordinary value, and industry leading product quality and style. We obsess about our customers and our product, and we seek to provide each customer an amazing experience.
Technology is core to enabling and scaling Blue Nile’s customer experience. Technology powers our worldclass e-commerce experience, global supply chain management, fulfillment operations, merchandising selection and pricing, customer service, data warehousing, and both virtual and physical showrooms. We operate online in over 40 countries and manage 10 showrooms in the US.
About The Role:
Blue Nile is looking for a seasoned and innovative technology leader to join our executive team. This role will lead the technology organization and establish the overall technical vision, architecture, and innovation for the company. This role manages engineering teams which build and maintain all of our platforms, applications, and hardware, including: e-commerce, merchandising, marketing, supply chain, customer service, showrooms, infrastructure, data management, security, and internal tools and support. This role will define and develop the overall engineering culture, tools, technologies and processes used to ensure engineering excellence.
An ideal candidate will have led global, e-commerce businesses and should have strong familiarity with modern development, delivery, and architecture principles, including experience in cloud computing. This candidate is comfortable managing large engineering teams, both internal and external, in a fast paced and fluid business environment and has a passion for technology and delighting customers. This person has high standards, strong backbone, good judgment, can act as a change manager to evangelize technology, and knows when to balance resiliency and thoroughness versus creativity and scrappiness to achieve desired goals and solutions.
This role is a member of the Blue Nile executive team and reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
- Lead with principles consistent with Blue Nile’s values. This includes the demonstrated ability to think strategically, deliver results, build a high-performing organization, continuously grow and learn, lead across department boundaries, and inspire the organization to deliver remarkable customer experiences.
- Build and lead an organization that owns the development of the overall technical strategy, setting compelling direction, fostering understanding across applications, constantly looking for efficiency improvements, and leading teams to deliver results.
- Own the technology budget, including workforce planning, software cost optimization, and establishing principles and standards for evaluating make/buy decisions in both current and future states.
- Lead the engineering culture and focus on building and developing engineering talents that have the technical and business acumen to deliver compelling customer experiences.
- Set the standards for our operational excellence, including fast cycle development capabilities including Agile / Scrum, continuous integration, and automation.
- 15+ years of experience building and managing large engineering teams; hands-on experience as an engineer preferred.
- Experience working on consumer-facing organizations with a focus on e-commerce. Experience with Enterprise Resource Planning. software, marketing technology, and/or data warehousing a plus.
- Decisive leader who makes good decisions by listening well, pulling from experience, and appropriately balancing short term versus long-term considerations.
- Accomplished range of skills from detailed analysis to high-level strategy, and good judgment on when to use which one. Plus, willingness to roll up your sleeves and dive deep to inspect and understand, when necessary.
- Work in fast-paced environment and resourceful in achieving success while prioritizing and managing multiple responsibilities.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and discuss technical concepts, trade-offs, and opportunistic new ideas with technical, non-technical, and executive team members.
- Experience in either building or migrating high performant platforms in the cloud; AWS experience preferred.
- An undergraduate degree in technical or engineering field preferred.
What we offer:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Healthcare Coverage, paid by employer
- 401(k) with Company Match
- Paid Vacation
- Competitive Salaries
- Business Allowance
- Employee Discount
- Employee Referral Bonus