Chewy is hiring a Cloud Engineering Manager for our Platform Engineering organization in either Boston, MA, Dania Beach, FL, or Seattle, WA. As a member of the Platform Engineering team, you’ll be a key driver of the initiatives and execution of the Platform Engineering team, working to manage and improve the team’s effectiveness, quality, and efficiency. You’ll be leading a team of strong engineers building and supporting the hybrid cloud platform upon which all Chewy applications and services are hosted Further, this manager will collaborate across the engineering organization to create best practices and to help to build the overall ecosystem for Chewy's system and service architecture. In addition to leading an engineering team, you’ll be expected to have sufficient technical skills to spend some of your time performing hands-on development work.
The ideal candidate will have proven, hands-on experience managing a team of engineers and maturing team operations. Above all other factors, we are looking for smart, driven candidates who want to be part of a culture of innovation and customer service.
What You’ll Do:
- Manage and lead a team of 5-8 experienced engineers responsible for building and maintaining Chewy’s Hybrid Cloud Platform.
- Drive technical decisions and be accountable for the delivery of solutions on initiatives they own.
- Drive the team toward execution of corporate strategic objectives
- Partner with the Platform Business Office (PBO) and internal customers on road map definition and the prioritization of stories and subsequent Sprint Planning.
- Review code and implementations; provide feedback for technical contributors.
- Build the team and coach it to higher levels of technical and operational maturity.
- Establish technical standards and guidelines to ensure integrity of systems and compliance with company IT standards, policies, and processes
- Ensure service level agreements with business units are met
- Implement operations processes that cover day-to-day job flow execution and a support model that reduces support requirements on engineers
- Implement process measurements to ensure quality standards and throughput is maintained by each engineer
- Drive the resolution of team impediments and escalate risks as needed
- Participate in Quarterly Planning Sessions
What You’ll Need:
- Demonstrated history of implementing and managing multiple software development projects.
- 5+ years of experience in Engineering Management
- 5+ years of experience in leading the design, development and deployment of public cloud infrastructure at scale and current hands on technology infrastructure, network, compute, storage, and virtualization experience
- Experience leading highly-available and fault-tolerant enterprise and web-scale platform and/or software deployments
- Experience in managing a team contributing to complex product solutions across multiple teams
- Proven delivery experience working under an Agile/Scrum methodology
- Ability to collaborate with stakeholders in order to ensure development efforts align with stakeholder needs
- Strong negotiation and conflict management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience driving discussions with senior personnel regarding trade-offs, best practices, project management and risk mitigation
- Ability to work independently and as a part of cross functional and multidisciplinary teams
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize deadlines
- Willingness to travel (~10%)
Bonus (if applicable):
- Experience with Akamai
- Experience with Service Oriented Architecture concepts/architectural approach
- Experience in ecommerce.
- Experience with other public cloud technologies (Azure, GCP)
- Ecommerce experience