Director of Engineering- Extensibility & APIs at Zipwhip
Zipwhip is a Seattle-based SaaS (Software-as-a-Service) company that is changing the way businesses and consumers communicate. We invented the capability to text to and from a landline, toll-free or VoIP telephone number and have led the entire industry since. Over 35,000 businesses use our product and we are the fourth fastest-growing company in Washington state. We are backed by Goldman Sachs, Microsoft Ventures, OpenView, Voyager Capital and a host of other investors, and are seeing great growth in customer base and revenue. Zipwhip is the only business-texting provider with direct connections to all Tier 1 and 2 wireless operators in the U.S., and we've delivered billions of texts to consumers nationwide.
We are searching for a seasoned senior engineering leader that cares deeply about their group, to join the Senior Engineering Leadership team. Use your experience to help us grow the engineering organization, take part in cross-company strategic & tactical decisions and ship service offerings that delight our customers.
- Are a highly motivated leader with passion to empower and grow an engineering team.
- Believe in our mission to make texting with businesses as natural as it is with family and friends.
- Will bring your unique set of diverse experiences and background to our team in an open and collaborative manner so that we can all expand and grow faster.
- Have a desire to leverage your expertise but also dive into lesser known areas of technology, architecture, or whatever is needed to solve engineering day-to-day challenges.
- Have an open and honest communication style that always puts the customer first “Will the customer be delighted with this?”
- Are comfortable dealing with ambiguity and a shifting landscape.
- Are curious, willing to learn, share and improve.
What’s the job really?
- Hiring, mentoring, and coaching agile diverse teams to deliver quality software. You will meet for regular one-on-ones to provide feedback and identify and develop future engineering managers.
- Unblocking your teams and keep things moving through technical mentorship, helping them connect with the people and resources that can help, and leading changes to architecture, tools, processes and the organization itself to make engineering more efficient and effective.
- Promoting technical vitality of engineering teams by recommending training opportunities, helping to coordinate team events like hack days, and facilitating sharing across teams.
- Working closely with product managers to influence the product roadmap, ensure alignment between engineering and other teams, and balance technology initiatives with business priorities across teams.
What you bring:
- 15+ years of related product development experience shipping multiple products / services
- 10+ years of leadership experience
- Track record of building high functioning teams, including recruiting, mentoring and retaining diverse talent base
- Working in agile teams or startup environment with strong customer focus
- Experience building applications or services used at scale on Azure, AWS or other cloud providers
- Show strategic leadership, organizational agility, cross-team collaboration, commitment for results, and written and verbal communications
- Commitment for engineering practices that ensure safe and fast paced releases of services
- Experience engaging with customers and partners, both inside and outside of Zipwhip to understand their business needs and priorities, technological landscape and roadmaps.
- Expertise in building delightful user experiences.
- Understanding of UI design, usability, and accessibility practices.
- You care about building diverse teams and providing an inclusive environment where employees can show up as their authentic self and do their best work.
- We value diversity and strive to create an environment where everyone can feel safe, valued, empowered, and connected.
- A fun, lively startup culture and one of Seattle's coolest offices, with waterfront view.
- We don’t just talk the talk. Our award-winning culture stems from having a core set of values that are lived daily from the top down.
- Ample opportunities for professional growth, internal advancement and movement, and company-supported learning.
- Competitive compensation and stock options.
- Full benefits package including parental leave, a matching 401k program, PTO, and medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance.
- Subsidized access to a fitness center + other onsite wellness offerings.
- Stipend for transportation and cell phone usage.
- Complimentary snacks, complimentary beverages and free lunch on Fridays catered by local chefs.
Zipwhip strives for an equitable, inclusive and welcoming culture that values and honors diverse experiences and perspectives, that fosters the constructive expression of ideas, and that promotes intellectual curiosity, creativity, and respect. Equity and inclusivity can only flourish and reach full potential with continued effort and accountability, nourished by a collective sense of responsibility and mission on the part of the entire company. We are committed to the continued development of our diverse of people, ideas, and approaches, which will strengthen our mission to make texting with businesses as natural as it is with family and friends.
We are an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.
We are an E-verify participating employer.