Director of Engineering, One Identity
As a Director of Engineering, you will lead the creation and construction of an Identity platform for all of Avalara’s product suite are able to consume. You will be a thought leader in this space building opportunities for the practical application to meet the needs of massive growth and rapidly evolving business environment. You will help to build a high-performance engineering team and be a mentor and motivator for team members.
Avalara is the worldwide leader in sales and use tax calculation. The work we do is fundamental to electronic commerce. We're the first to admit it - sales tax isn't sexy. But revolutionizing fundamental business processes -- that's big time. And that's what we're doing every day, bringing technology to bear on the arcane process of sales tax calculation, reporting and remitting. Our work improves the lives of our customers by making tedious business processes they must participate in simple and easy.
We have a startup culture focused on building great software and having the maximum impact on the world that we can and having fun while doing it. We’d love to talk to you about what we are up to.
Specific Objectives and Responsibilities
The person who succeeds in this role will enable Avalara to build an Identity platform that would be consumed by suite for Avalara products. You will also build a high-performance engineering team that is skilled in using the most relevant technology so as to ensure the development efforts add value, meet corporate objectives and launch targets. You will also have strong communication and interpersonal skills.
The primary responsibilities of this role include:
- Direct leadership of the One Identity product engineering and QA teams.
- Should have experience in design, development, implementation, integration and support of single Identity Access Management system and services which should have included provisioning, multi-factor authentication (MFA), Single Sign-On (SSO), access management, SAML & OAuth.
- Motivated to explore new opportunities in leading edge technologies. Actively engages with developing industry tools and practices to remain current.
- Champion of development best practices for the team: design, architecture, re-use, performance, and quality.
- Ensure that product architecture and technology decisions support business area strategies and future direction of product lines.
- Take active ownership of complex feature areas in the application and technical problems.
- Assist product management by providing technical insight and judgment of feature/schedule/cost tradeoffs.
- Work with customers and support staff to ensure all reported issues resolved within SLA required timeframes.
- Provide people, process, and hands-on technical leadership to the engineering team.
- Mentor, motivate, and lead the Engineering team to support a vibrant and productive engineering culture.
- Thrive on learning new technologies, don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions and adapt easily to meet the needs of massive growth and rapidly evolving business environment.
- Coordinate recruiting efforts across engineering center to ensure consistency and continued excellence.
- Should be able to lead scalability and performance planning for organization’s future Identity Access Management needs.
- Passion for innovating & adopting new approaches for delivering efficient enterprise business solutions.
Qualifications (absolute must haves walking in the door)
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent work experience.
- Currently in a senior engineering leadership role and has experience leading a high-performance engineering teams & working on scalable software products with engineering teams.
- Worked on a diverse set of full stack and back end technologies.
- Highly detail oriented and well organized.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication and team collaboration skills (including remote team communication) with ability to engage with technical and non-technical stakeholders.
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transactional taxes, including VAT, sales and use, excise, communications, and other tax types. We deliver comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions that are fast, accurate, and easy to use.
Avalara offers hundreds of pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications. Each year, the company processes billions of tax transactions for customers and users, files hundreds of thousands of tax compliance documents and tax returns and manages millions of exemption certificates and other compliance related documents.
A privately held company, Avalara’ s venture capital investors include Sageview Capital, Battery Ventures, Warburg Pincus, Technology Crossover Ventures, Arthur Ventures, and other institutional and individual investors. Avalara’s headquarters are in Seattle, WA and it has offices across the U.S. and in Brighton and London, England; Brussels, Belgium; and Pune, India. More information at: www.avalara.com