*Director of Engineering
Join a startup hitting its stride with tremendous market opportunity as part of a small team using the latest frontend, serverless, and automation technologies. We are looking for an experienced engineering manager to join and lead
The successful candidate will be a well-rounded Software Development Manager. Experience managing software engineers and effectively communicating with others is a must. Program management skills are great to have. Domain knowledge of sales and marketing, CRM, SaaS, and the billing/financial ERP space would be a huge advantage.
* Take ownership of complex projects, mentor and lead a productive team of software engineers
* Understand the business requirements
* Set the technical direction of the team
* Design and implement scalable code
* Create Jira tickets to assign work to developers on the team
* Execute on some tickets once the ticketing is out ahead of the team
* Collaborate with Avalara’s recruiting team to help recruit great developers
* Help implement effective engineering processes and policies
* Promote designs that ensure code consistency and reusability
* Computer science degree or equivalent experience
* Strong design and development chops
* Experience with leading code reviews and implementing best software management practices
* Ability to make technical trade-offs between short term team needs and long term business needs
* Great documentation skills
* Solid architectural chops
* Operational experience with serverless technologies
* Cloud technologies experience/knowledge is a plus (GCP, AWS, Azure)
* Expertise in C#
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world.
Avalara offers more than 600 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers. Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions for customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and overseas in the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com
The perks of working at Avalara go beyond amazing physical spaces and a Tiki Bar. We’re committed to continued progress in diversity and inclusion. As an employee at Avalara, you’ll have the opportunity to join resource groups focused on diversity of thought, engage with your local or global community about topics that matter to you and the organization and receive continued education around inclusion and development. As Avalara grows, so do the voices within it. It’s time to hear your voice.
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, gender, nation of origin, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law. We thrive on diversity and encourage people from all walks of life to apply to Avalara’s open positions.