Skilljar is looking for an experienced engineering director to help lead our flourishing engineering team! We are looking for someone who is excited by the challenge of growing and managing a dev team at a fast-growing startup.
Your team’s responsibilities will include development, management, and operations for Skilljar’s core customer training platform. You’ll help hire new engineers and bring them together as a team to innovate and deliver high-quality features. You will use your experience with distributed, cloud applications to define and build secure, reliable, scalable, and easy-to-use products. You will help set and deliver on ambitious goals for adoption, operational performance, and feature delivery.
You have an established background in delivering customer-facing solutions, strong technical skills, excellent project management skills, great interpersonal skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast paced environment. You're a leader who can prioritize well, communicate clearly and compellingly, and who understands how to drive a high level of focus and excellence within a team. You are a builder with a good working knowledge of a wide range of AWS core services, web application platforms like Django, and other technologies such as PostgreSQL, Apache Kafka, and Cloud Management/orchestration tools.
- As a director of engineering at Skilljar, your key responsibilities include:
- Growing the organization. Recruiting, hiring, and engaging top-notch engineers.
- Direct management of managers, senior engineers, and additional individual contributors.
- Strategic planning, project management for software development within the team, and ensuring execution and delivery on our commitments.
- 10+ years of experience planning, designing, developing and delivering software.
- 5+ years of experience as a people manager in a software development organization.
- Familiarity with our technology stack is preferred: Python, Django, PostgreSQL, Kafka - all on AWS.
- Experience in development of distributed/scalable systems and high-volume transaction applications. Additionally, experience delivering enterprise software and/or services is preferred.
- A real passion for people management and mentorship and a consistent record of building and running high performing engineering teams. Experience leading multiple engineering teams, including managing other people managers.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & standard methodologies for the full software creation lifecycle including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Extraordinary customer relationship skills including the ability to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and lead engineering efforts to build optimal solutions.
- Highly self-directed and comfortable in a small, unstructured environment with ambiguous and rapidly changing requirements and designs.
- High attention to detail and proven ability to handle multiple, contending priorities in a dynamic environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline.
- US work authorization and criminal background check are required.
Backed by prominent financial institutions, including Mayfield, Shasta Ventures, and Trilogy Equity Partners, Skilljar is building the Customer Education Platform of choice for mid to large-sized enterprises. Trusted by leading global enterprise organizations like Cisco and Verizon, Skilljar’s SaaS platform empowers Customer Training and Enablement teams to successfully onboard, engage, and retain customers and increase product adoption throughout the customer journey. We are a team of bright, passionate Skillets with Amazon roots and startup drive. Centrally located just a few blocks from Westlake Center in downtown Seattle, the Skilljar office is a fun, perfectly-caffeinated, and creative place to be (come check out our 3-D laser printer). Apply to join us!
Skilljar is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, veteran status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status or disability (in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act) with respect to employment opportunities.
Skilljar does not accept nor are we responsible for any fees associated with unsolicited resumes, LinkedIn bios, or any other candidate introductions.