Our mission is to protect life.
We’re out to make the world a safer place by solving big problems and taking on the public safety challenges of our time. From our company's inception building the TASER device to a full suite of hardware and software solutions, we are focused on providing police agencies with the state-of-the-art devices and services they need to successfully serve and protect us. In the next few years, we're going to eliminate the burden of paperwork in policing, so officers can increase the time they spend building relationships and serving in their communities. We’ll put video at the heart of the police record so our justice system can get to the truth faster. And we won't stop innovating until the bullet is rendered obsolete.
It’s a big mission, but it’s one we’ll pursue relentlessly every single day.
At Axon, we build mission-critical products that save lives. As Sr Director of Infrastructure Engineering, you will lead the team that powers the Axon Platform. The Infrastructure Engineering team ensures that our cloud products achieve the high level of availability, performance, and quality that is critical for emergency responders to do their jobs. This is an important role, and by reporting directly to our SVP of Software Engineering, you will have an opportunity to collaborate with other engineering directors to create a strong technically-minded minded culture that can move fast, operate at scale, and reduce toil.
Beyond owning the infrastructure for our products, you will also have a key goal: making our engineers’ live as easy as possible. You will drive the right tools and processes to ensure that our product teams can deploy quickly while maintaining a high degree of quality. You live and breathe operational excellence and are obsessed about mitigating any issues that negatively impact our customers. You will drive alignment on frameworks and tools for key areas such as our engineers instrumenting and monitoring services so that they know about problems before our customers do, and being able to easily and quickly rollback deployments if any problems arise.
Our infrastructure engineering team shapes the raw IaaS provided by hyperscale cloud providers like Azure, and molds it into the application environment in which our product teams build their services. We are cloud agnostic and run discrete, isolated regions around the world on AWS and Azure. The team also owns core share services like our load balancers, DNS, VPN, and CI/CD. They design and operate our Kubernetes environment and provide a portfolio of datastores for use by our teams.
As the Director of Infrastructure you will:
-Apply software engineering to infrastructure development and management
-Help drive strategic improvements in systems, processes, and practices
-Develop and maintain Configuration Management systems to improve reliability and uptime
-Develop orchestration tools to aid in the deployment and maintenance of mission critical infrastructure
-Build or enhance tools to improve engineering productivity, such as automated assignment of errors found in logs or automated assignment of build failures
-Maintain and evolve the CI/CD environment and improvements
-Work with key members of the architect team to define and drive DevOps technical strategy and architectural direction
-Stay current on advancements in infrastructure landscape and influence adoption across enterprise
-Support existing existing team in career growth of their SRE and DevOps skills and build a culture of automation
-Provide 24X7 production support for product teams and SRE-owned services
-Lead and participate in a 24x7 on-call rotation to own infrastructure or system outages
-Be able to accurately and confidently communicate status of team and initiatives to Sr. leadership
-Be familiar with budgetary items (Capex, Opex) to ensure proper forecasting
-Consistently meet or exceed SLA obligations
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field preferred
- 7+ years’ experience in DevOps or Software Engineering
- Experience working within an Agile Software Development Lifecycle
- Experience with cloud IaaS and PaaS offerings such as AWS or Azure
- Ability and eagerness to quickly learn new technologies and approaches
- Strong people and organizational leader, strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Working proficiency with one or more high-level programming languages used in systems engineering such as C, C++, Python, Golang or Java.
- Knowledgeable of CI/CD automation development (Jenkins pipelines ideally)
- Experience with strong knowledge of automating Cloud base deployment like Terraform for configuring, building and deploying changes and Kubernetes
- Familiarity with distributed source control systems like GitHub
- Experience with Linux administration skills (CentOS, Ubuntu, etc.) is a plus
- Familiarity with configuration management systems (e.g. Chef, Puppet, Ansible) is a plus
- Experience or knowledge of automating Cloud based deployments (ideally AWS with Terraform and Kubernetes with Helm, and ELK)
- Experience with Service mesh (e.g. Istio)
- Experience or Knowledge of large distributed system monitoring experience (ideally Prometheus/Grafana)
- Have led successful a global engineering team for over 4+ years
- Understanding of containerization and orchestration technologies (Docker, Kubernetes, etc.)
- Experience or knowledge with microservices
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary and 401k with employer match
- Discretionary paid time off
- Robust parental leave policy
- An award-winning office/working environment
- Ride along with police officers to see them use our technology and get inspired
- And more...
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.