Director, Software Development Lifecycle Engineering
Avalara, Inc., (www.Avalara.com), is a leading provider of cloud-based software that delivers a broad array of compliance solutions related to sales tax and other transactional taxes. We are pioneering technologies to make the complicated world of sales tax easier for our clients. Be part of a cutting edge technology company that is constantly striving to “wow” our customers through innovation and relentless focus on excellence.
As the Director of Avalara's Software Development Lifecycle you will be working with over 50 scrum teams globally, 80 engineering mangers, 25 stakeholders/partners and 20 leaders to develop a SDLC process that drives shared success across this diverse group of Avalarians. This is a new role for Avalara, so it is up to you to blaze the trail.
- Build common SDLC process to increase efficiency and consistency across 20+ product development teams.
- Document current state and identify risks, opportunities, optimization and need for standardization across like teams
- Contribute to product scorecards to measure engineering inputs, outputs and key engineering development metrics
- Drive and execute on broad, complex initiatives across product lines, providing program governance and oversight.
- Help develop and maintain scorecards and dashboards and track and improve program specific KPI’s.
- Manage Engineering wide ROI analysis and cost expenditures to plan and assist with organizational budgeting operations.
- Communicate and operate in a matrix environment, collaborating closely with operational roles and other groups to increase capacity planning, efficiency, transparency and clear goals
- Drive best practice development and cross organizational discussions on SDLC, mentoring and coaching project team members as appropriate
In this role you will also have the ability to identify and drive efforts and projects that contribute to the overall goal of enhanced development processes, better product level transparency and overall business evaluation of business areas. This role is full of opportunity and hard problems to solve. Come join the Engineering Operations team and drive change and development of Avalara products.
As part of this process this role will also extract with SMEs to understand current state, identify potential risks and opportunities based on strategic input, current state, evaluations, leveraging feedback from around the business and work with cross organizational stakeholders and partners to understand needs and drive shared success.
This role requires strong business acumen, great process development and refinement skills, strong knowledge of product and SDLC design, and outstanding interpersonal communication and influencing skillsets. In addition to being an excellent listener and communicator this role requires an ability to negotiate change management. This is a career accelerating opportunity – come help Engineering Operations drive a better tomorrow!
- 7-10 years of Technical/Project management experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science or other related field
- Ability to influence staff without direct reporting authority
- Deep program and project management skills
- Experience with Agile development methodologies
- 2 years of software development experience
- At least 3 years’ experience in SaaS technology company in a program management or similar capacity
- Project Management Professional Certification a plus
- Thrive in an entrepreneurial, fast paced environment
- Excellent communication skills
The perks of working at Avalara go beyond amazing physical spaces and a Tiki Bar. We’re committed to continued progress in diversity and inclusion. As an employee at Avalara, you’ll have the opportunity to join resource groups focused on diversity of thought, engage with your local or global community about topics that matter to you and the organization and receive continued education around inclusion and development. As Avalara grows, so do the voices within it. It’s time to hear your voice.