Director of Software Engineering
When was the last time you had an opportunity to work at a company that was forging an industry and enabling people to get from idea to impact – fast! Smartsheet’s purpose is to empower everyone to improve how they work. Our business is built on finding great people and getting out of their way while they build and improve our award-winning Software as a Service (SaaS) offering. With over 10 million users, our platform gets used across disparate industries ranging from construction to retail to software development. This presents us with unique technical challenges.
We are looking for a Director of Software Engineering to build a top-tier software organization that will help design and implement Smartsheet’s next gen architecture. In this role, you will lead and positively impact multiple product areas within your functional domain, as well as influence the broader technology organization. You will provide technical leadership for critical areas that significantly impact customer success.
This position is based at our headquarters in Bellevue, WA and will report to VP of Application Engineering.
Our team focuses on distributed decision making that rewards ownership, transparency, and collaboration. Learn more about our platform here: Smartsheet Overview Video
- You are a talent magnet; you have a track record of finding and developing great talent.
- You have a passion for continuous improvement; have built learning organizations that keep up with the state of the art and are an example and mentor to your team.
- You are responsible for delivering products that delight customers while managing the health of the code base through continuous refactoring and management of technical debt.
- You are an expert at agile continuous delivery, DevOps and TDD and will champion the culture, processes, and tools required to maintain a frictionless high-quality development environment.
- You dive deep into technology and are on the forefront of the latest tools, technologies, and strategies and help evaluate, prototype, and introduce them to our team.
- Provide coaching and leadership in software best practices, automated test strategies, and work toward flattening the cost of change curve for our software products and services.
- Demonstrated track record of building high performing, secure applications and building security into the DNA of products.
- You obsess over great user experiences and will be a partner to product management/engineering, sales, operations, and other parts of the business.
- You communicate proactively and effectively to different kinds of audiences, including executives, customers and non-technical stakeholders.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 4+ years microservice or SOA based web application development
- 10+ years of combined system architecture experience across multiple OSes, languages and frameworks. Java experience a plus!
- 3+ years managing software organizations > 20 people or equivalent experience.
- Experience with tools such as CloudFormation, CloudTrail, CloudWatch, Elastic Load Balancing, Beanstalk, EC2, Route 53, etc.
- Experience with NoSQL DBs, Relational DBs, Object Store architectures across globally replicated cloud instances
- Experience building autoscaling distributed systems
- Your skills are language, framework and toolset agnostic, having worked in at least 3 languages or paradigms, or equivalent experience.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, a related field, or equivalent industry experience
- Strong Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures and problem solving.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with Agile/Scrum methodologies
- Positively influences group/company's technical culture and morale
- Recognizes, takes ownership of complicated technical cross-team issues and drives them to resolution
- Legally eligible to work in the U.S. on an ongoing basis
In 2005, Smartsheet was founded on the idea that teams and millions of people worldwide deserve a better way to deliver their very best work. Today, the company delivers a leading cloud-based platform for work execution, empowering organizations to plan, capture, track, automate, and report on work at scale, resulting in more efficient processes and better business outcomes. Smartsheet went public on the New York Stock Exchange in April 2018 and currently enables collaboration, better decision making, and accelerated innovation for over 76,000 domain-based customers in 190 countries, including 96 of the Fortune 100.
Smartsheet is a place where people love what they do and are empowered to do their best work every day. We support one another and achieve our goals as a team, not as individuals. Each person, at every level, gets to have an impact.
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at Smartsheet are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.