Director of Technology at Expedia Group
Director of Technology, SRE, Conversation Platform
Are you looking for a new challenge? Are you passionate about Travel, Technology, and solving tough problems for the Customer? Does building the foundations of a highly scalable conversation platform linking customers and travelers from different channels like chat, mobile web and voice interfaces to intelligent virtual agents excite you? Do you like to seek a variety business and technology problems? If so, here is an excellent opportunity for you. We are seeking a Technology leader who can help build a groundbreaking omni channel conversational platform for our partners to drive self-service customer journeys supporting multiple Expedia Group (EG) brands, lines of business and external EG partners across the globe.
Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) combines software and systems engineering to build and run large-scale, distributed, fault-tolerant systems. SRE ensures that our internally critical and our externally-visible systems—have reliability, uptime appropriate to users' needs and a fast rate of improvement. Additionally, SRE keeps an ever-watchful eye on our systems capacity and performance. Much of our software development focuses on optimizing existing systems, building infrastructure and eliminating work through automation. On the SRE team, you’ll have the opportunity to manage the complex challenges of scale, while using your expertise in coding, algorithms, complexity analysis and large-scale system design. SRE's culture of diversity, intellectual curiosity, problem-solving and openness is key to its success. Our organization brings together people with a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We encourage them to collaborate, think big and take risks in a blame-free environment. We promote self-direction to work on meaningful projects, while we also strive to create an environment that provides the support and mentorship needed to learn and grow.
Our team loves the mission of providing intelligent solutions to our customers. If you are a strong technology leader, with a growth mindset and one who loves challenges, we want to hear from you!
What you'll do:
- Own end-to-end availability and performance SLAs of key services and build automation to prevent problem recurrence
- Lead ~30 Engineers/Technologists in engineering execution
- Drive resiliency, capacity verification, chaos monkey exercises, CI/CD, site protection, security and compliance for the conversation platform
- Lead by example, mentor the team and establish credibility through quality technical execution
- Be responsible for the growth of the Engineering team – including individuals’ career growth, skillset development, and hiring the right resources
- Provide architectural and design input, with ability to dive deep into technical details as required
- Provide mentorship on Engineering excellence with a lens on Continuous Improvement
Who you are:
- Strong technical management background
- 12+ years of experience in software development
- 4+ years in leading engineering teams with growing responsibility
- Ability to navigate a rapidly changing landscape, while handling multiple responsibilities
- Hands-on experience with development in AWS or other Cloud environments very helpful
- Curious about new technology and always looking to acquire new knowledge
- Strong written and spoken communication
- Strong business acumen is desired
Why Join Us?
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground, so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.