Engineering Manager – DevOps at Zipwhip
Zipwhip is a Seattle-based SaaS (Software-as-a-Service) company that is changing the way businesses and consumers communicate. We invented the capability to text to and from a landline, toll-free or VoIP telephone number and have led the entire industry since. Over 35,000 businesses use our product and we are the fourth fastest-growing company in Washington state. We are backed by Goldman Sachs, Microsoft Ventures, OpenView, Voyager Capital and a host of other investors, and are seeing great growth in customer base and revenue. Zipwhip is the only business-texting provider with direct connections to all Tier 1 and 2 wireless operators in the U.S., and we've delivered billions of texts to consumers nationwide.
We are searching for a seasoned engineering manager that cares deeply about their group, to help build the DevOps team. Use your experience to help improve the velocity of our development organization and deliver high quality products to our customers.
- Are a highly motivated engineering manager with passion to empower and grow an engineering team.
- Will bring your unique set of diverse experiences and background to our team in an open and collaborative manner so that we can all expand and grow faster.
- Have an open and honest communication style that always puts the customer first “Will the customer be delighted with this?”.
- Are enthusiastic about software quality, persistent in improving the software development process, and experienced in building highly available systems.
- Stay abreast of modern technologies and practices, and thoughtfully recommend the introduction of new technology and innovative processes.
- Are comfortable dealing with ambiguity and a shifting landscape.
- Are curious, willing to learn, share and improve.
What’s the job really?
- Leading the team building our Kubernetes environments, creating automation, containerization with Docker, and supporting CI/CD pipelines.
- Responsible for developing best practices for deployments and maintaining engineering systems that enable our developers to ship high quality, secure and reliable code.
- You will collaborate with product and software engineering teams to release at a high velocity and drive developer adoption.
- Coaching, mentoring, performance monitoring, managing scope, setting vision, making technical decisions and ready to roll up your sleeves to unblock the team.
- Managing the DevOps backlog of maintenance and support tasks to ensure appropriate prioritization of work and timely resolution for customers.
What to bring:
- 10+ years of related software engineering or operations experience shipping products using agile software delivery principles.
- 5+ years of experience leading software development with a consistent track record of on-time delivery and working on complex large-scale projects in System Engineering, DevOps, or CI/CD.
- Track record of building high functioning teams, including recruiting, mentoring and retaining diverse talent base.
- Experience using Continuous Integration tools (Jenkins, CodeBuild, CodePipline, etc.).
- Deployed containerization strategies using Docker and knowledgeable in AWS services (EC2, VPC, S3, RDS, IAM, CloudFormation).
- Passion to automate everything possible and have worked with server automation tools like Terraform and Kubernetes (Helm).
- Experience with version control systems (Git), including branching and merging strategies.
- You have seen scale in your time; solving a diverse range of problems with complex distributed systems & relational databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL) in both startups and large organizations.
- Commitment for engineering practices that ensure safe and fast paced releases of services.
- Experience engaging with customers and partners, both inside and outside of Zipwhip to understand their business needs and priorities, technological landscape and roadmaps.
- We value diversity and strive to create an environment where everyone can feel safe, valued, empowered, and connected.
- A fun, flexible, and lively startup culture in one of Seattle's coolest offices, with waterfront view.
- A place where people can effectively work together and have access to the latest technology to do their best work.
- Our award-winning culture stems from having a core set of values that are lived daily from the top down. This includes hackathons to showcase innovation, lots of service opportunities to serve our surrounding community, and fun collaborative events to connect with executives and
- Ample opportunities for professional growth, internal advancement and movement, and company-supported learning.
- Competitive compensation and stock options.
- Full benefits package including parental leave, a matching 401k program, PTO, and medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance.
- Subsidized access to a fitness center + other onsite wellness offerings, such as yoga.
- Stipend for transportation and cell phone usage.
- Complimentary snacks, complimentary beverages and free lunch on Fridays catered by local chefs.
Zipwhip strives for an equitable, inclusive and welcoming culture that values and honors diverse experiences and perspectives, that fosters the constructive expression of ideas, and that promotes intellectual curiosity, creativity, and respect. Equity and inclusivity can only flourish and reach full potential with continued effort and accountability, nourished by a collective sense of responsibility and mission on the part of the entire company. We are committed to the continued development of our diverse of people, ideas, and approaches, which will strengthen our mission to make texting with businesses as natural as it is with family and friends.
We are an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.
We are an E-verify participating employer.