Engineering Manager, Fleet & Logistics
Postmates is disrupting local commerce by making everything in your city available to be delivered in minutes. This has unlocked on-demand local shopping — providing consumers the convenience of super fast delivery for the largest selection of goods (anything in the whole city!); the benefit and scale of e-commerce for local merchants; and more flexible work for couriers.
This is a tall order, and Postmates relies heavily on our engineering applications and systems to realize this vision. Even though we are already a billion dollar business with millions of customers in 3000+ US cities trusting us with more than 2M orders every month, we have only just started our technical journey to build our technology stack in a way that can keep up with our rapid growth.
What we do
The Fleet team is responsible for everything delivery -- from the Postmates product experience (signing up, fulfilling deliveries, getting paid), to the logistics technologies that power the network (matching, dynamic pricing, heat maps, etc.). This suite of products and technologies is the primary driver of route efficiency and customer reliability for the company, and enables us to provide a world class experience for all sides of the market.
You can learn more about our obsession with route efficiency here.
What you’ll do
As an Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for leading one or more teams of engineers on all aspects of product development. You will partner with product management, data analytics, business operations and other engineering leaders to build and deliver the roadmap of your teams. You will participate in technical design and planning while providing guidance for engineers to ensure they execute well everyday. Finally, as we’re scaling explosively, you’ll have lots of opportunities to build & grow the teams via hiring & mentoring.
To accomplish this, you are expected to have an established background in building high-performing teams developing highly scalable systems and delivering cross-functional initiatives. You should be somebody who enjoys recruiting & coaching, is customer-centric, and feels strongly about delivering results.
- Bachelors in Computer Science or a related field
- 10+ years of experience in building impactful and technically complex software systems
- 5+ years of progressive experience in managing and building engineering teams
- Proven expertise in building large-scale web applications and distributed systems
- Accomplished technical leader with strong track of record delivering results at high speed and quality
- Advanced degree in Computer Science or a related field
- 2+ years of experience in delivery, logistics, or transportation products
- Competitive salary and generous stock option plan (stay aligned with the long-term value you create)
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Tasty, healthy lunches and snacks (mostly healthy, but very tasty)
- Impact-first work environment (no politics, no pandering)
- Huge company vision (we need you to build the future, not just maintain the status quo)
- Awesome office in San Francisco close to mass transit