Engineering Manager – Site Reliability at Zipwhip
We are one of the main reasons it’s possible to text with a business today. Zipwhip was the first company to enable texting on existing business phone numbers, and we are now the world’s leading business-texting software and API provider. More than 35,000 companies use us to increase customer engagement and drive growth through texting on their existing landline, VoIP or toll-free phone number. Intuitive cloud-based software, an enterprise-grade API and direct network connectivity mean businesses can use any computer or mobile device to securely and reliably reach their customers, every time.
Our strong venture backing allows us to aggressively invest in our product, technology and team; we’ve received nearly $100 million in funding from the likes of Goldman Sachs, M12 (Microsoft Ventures) and OpenView. We are consistently ranked one of Washington’s fastest-growing workplaces, and were voted the 6th best place to work in the state by Seattle Business magazine and The Puget Sound Business Journal in 2019.
Every day we work to uphold our core DIRECT values: Determination, Innovation, Respect, Enthusiasm, Collaboration and Trust. We know that we’ll build better products if we have a diverse and inspired team that’s encouraged to make mistakes and experiment.
If you want to be part of a team where you’re supported and empowered to change the way the world communicates, then we’d love to hear from you.
How this role makes an impact:
- Experience being responsible for customer facing production systems at scale.
- Highly motivated engineering manager with passion to empower and grow an engineering team.
- Recognize and leverage the diverse experiences of the team to expand and grow faster.
- Put the customer first: “Will the customer be delighted with this?”.
- Excited about shipping production-level code and systems and equally excited about the trajectory of your team and your part in forming them as outstanding engineers.
- You stay abreast of modern technologies and practices, and thoughtfully recommend the introduction of new technology and innovative processes.
- Be curious, willing to learn, share and improve.
What you'll be working on:
- You will recruit and lead the technical talent to expand the reliability practice at Zipwhip.
- You will have the opportunity to manage the complex challenges of scale on our platform and will keep an ever-watchful eye on our systems capacity and performance.
- Own end-to-end availability and performance of key services and build automation to prevent problem recurrence.
- Own the objective of continuously improving our software developer’s operational awareness and responsibility.
- Developing key performance indicators and reports to communicate service health, incidents, and uptime to the rest of the company and executives.
- Coaching, mentoring, performance monitoring, managing scope, setting vision, making technical decisions and ready to roll up your sleeves to unblock the team.
The skills you'll need:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience.
- 7+ years of experience in an SRE or cloud operations engineer role.
- 5+ years of experience managing an SRE team, on-call rotation, and driving DevOps transformation.
- Track record of building high functioning teams, including recruiting, mentoring and retaining diverse talent base.
- Experience managing an engineering team in large scale distributed systems with technical deep dives into code, networking, operating systems and/or storage.
- Experience and passion for defining what monitoring and alerting should look like for complex systems.
- Experience owning the availability and uptime of a SaaS service in the public cloud (AWS, Azure, GCP).
- Passion to automate everything possible and have worked with server automation tools like Terraform and Kubernetes (Helm)
- Prior experience managing Linux systems in a production environment and scripting languages (Bash, Python, Go, Ruby).
- You have seen scale in your time; solving a diverse range of problems with complex distributed systems & relational databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL) in both startups and large organizations.
- Experience engaging with customers and partners, both inside and outside of Zipwhip to understand their business needs and priorities, technological landscape and roadmaps.
- Ranked the #6 best workplace in Washington in 2019 from Seattle Business magazine and The Puget Sound Business Journal
- Consistently ranked one of Washington’s fastest-growing companies by Deloitte
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Full benefits package including parental leave, 401k, flexible remote work, generous PTO
- Health benefits including paid maternity and paternity leave, medical, vision, disability and life insurance
- Free on-site weekly yoga and meditation classes hosted by ZUM fitness, and discounted memberships to Soul Fitness and CorePower Yoga
- A brand new office on Elliott Bay with easy beachfront park access
- Stipend for transportation and cell phone usage
- A culture of transparency and open communication, including a catered weekly lunch meeting hosted by our CEO
- Values-based leadership and a commitment to building diversity and inclusion
We are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity of all kinds. We prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally recognized basis. This includes, but isn’t limited to, race, color, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, creed, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, age, veteran status, disability or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.
We are an E-verify participating employer.