The Expedia Lodging Platform team is the business powerhouse for the Expedia group and contributes the largest share of our company’s revenue. The Lodging Platform teams power two main lines of business, Lodging Shopping and Lodging Supply, and covers ten+ major Product areas. Our Lodging Platform operations are global, with representation in 8 countries and 17 offices. Our platforms are unique, supporting multiple Expedia brands - Brand Expedia Group; including Brand Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Wotif and ebookers; and our sister brands Hotels.com, Expedia Affiliate Network, Trivago and most recently HomeAway.
What makes Lodging different?
- Driving pricing computations supporting approximately 60 thousand requests per second; arguably one of the top 10 search systems in the world
- Building the best geography system returning 7.5 thousand requests per second; enabling travelers to find the best locations to stay
- Continuously growing a vast inventory system supporting 50 million updates/day; with rooms, rates, dates and types
- Service over half a million hotels across 240 countries in 26 languages; Real time news feed, photo upload, reviews
- Deep and broad content system enabling 10 million updates/day; which includes 38TB of images, alone
What about Lodging Technology?
Our teams have flexibility to make the technology choices that best provide customer value to partners. As a member of the team, you’ll be involved in these choices. As an example, most teams build RESTful services, typically with simple APIs using JSON. These are usually built on the JVM with Java but some pick Scala, Clojure and Kotlin. Some teams use node.js. Many teams are decomposing their services into micro-systems to make things easier to maintain and continually deploy. When appropriate, teams build event-driven, streaming architectures and we also have teams working on front-end solutions, generally using React.js. Your team will be cloud-native or moving enthusiastically to AWS. We organize for feature velocity, so wherever appropriate, your teams will use AWS services like Lambda, Kinesis, ElastiCache, Aurora, DynamoDB and of course EC2, ECS and S3. To further help speed things up, you’ll look to build on top of open source systems and libraries like Redis, GRPC, Akka, Cassandra, and MongoDB.
- You will lead the end-to-end product life cycle for mid to large size projects: Design, development, testing, deployment, and providing operational excellence and support
- You find and advocate for Industry standards and in development methodologies, techniques, and technologies
- You contribute to advancing the team's design methodology and quality programming practices and mentor junior team members.
- Innovate and implement new ideas to solve complex software problems and prototype creative solutions to enable product MVP's
- You will independently understand scheduling, cost constraints, and impact to other teams; and make resource and architectural trade-offs based on those factors
- You will anticipate and prevent problems and roadblocks, before they occur, and present technical issues and their impact to leadership
- Lead, coordinate, and collaborate on multiple concurrent and complex cross-organizational initiatives
- You will effectively build and maintain a network of key contacts across the company, and w these contacts to achieve results
- You will communicate and work effectively with geographically distributed teams
- You will work for continuous improvement in software and development process within an agile development team
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated proficiency in most areas of the professional function, and in-depth specialization in some
- Effective verbal and written communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information clearly and concisely
- Experience in Agile/Scrum software development practices
- 7-10+ years of experience in the field of Software Engineering
- Expertise in writing transactional web services using REST or distributed RPC technologies.
- Experience in JVM technologies, with experience with Scala or functional programming in an equivalent language a strong plus.
- Apache Tomcat, Spring MVC, Spring Boot, Docker, Gradle, Grunt
- AWS: EC2, S3, Lambda, DynamoDB, MongDB, Cassandra, SQL
- Hadoop, Hive, HDFS, Spark, other big data technologies
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where extraordinary people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.