The Expedia Lodging Platform team is the business powerhouse for the Expedia group and contributes the largest share of our company’s revenue. The Lodging Platform teams power two main lines of business, Lodging Shopping and Lodging Supply, and covers ten+ major Product areas. Our Lodging Platform operations are global, with representation in 8 countries and 17 offices. Our platforms are unique, supporting multiple Expedia group. brands - Brand Expedia Group; including Brand Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Wotif and ebookers; and our sister brands Hotels.com, Expedia Affiliate Network, trivago and most recently HomeAway.
We'd like you to help make us even better.
What makes Lodging unique?
- ML platform and self-service model deployment for data scientists, delivering over 5000 tps under 10 ms; enabling our teams to provide the best results for every customer
- Driving pricing computations supporting approximately 60 thousand requests per second; arguably one of the top 10 search systems in the world
- Building a comprehensive geography system returning 7.5 thousand requests per second; enabling travelers to find the best locations to stay
- Continuously growing a vast inventory system supporting 50 million updates/day; with rooms, rates, dates and types
- Service over half a million hotels across 240 countries in 26 languages; Real time news feed, photo upload, reviews
- Deep and broad content system enabling 10 million updates/day; which includes 38TB of images, alone
What about Lodging Technology?
Our teams have flexibility to make the technology choices that best provide customer value to partners. As a member of the team, you’ll be involved in these choices. As an example, most teams build RESTful services, typically with simple APIs using JSON. These are usually built on the JVM with Java but some pick Scala, Clojure and Kotlin. Some teams use node.js. Many teams are decomposing their systems into microservices to make things easier to maintain and continually deploy. When appropriate, teams build reactive or streaming architectures, optimizing for the user experience. We also have teams working on front-end solutions, generally using React.js. Your team will be cloud-native or moving enthusiastically to AWS. We organize for feature velocity, so wherever appropriate, your teams will use AWS services like Lambda, Kinesis, Elasticache, Aurora, DynamoDB and of course EC2, ECS and S3. To further help speed things up, you’ll look to build on top of open source systems and libraries like Redis, gRPC, Akka, Cassandra, and MongoDB.
Do you believe in being different, can you lead humbly, act as One Team, draw upon the scientific method, organize for speed while remaining transparent? If you answered yes, we'd love for you to help us continue our mission to revolutionize travel through the power of technology.
In this role you will be responsible for managing a growing team of Software Development Engineers in an agile development environment. Vast amounts of pricing, availability, and lodging product data are stored and streamed by our systems. You will use data science to help build intelligent services using this data, while simultaneously improving the scalability, reliability, and performance of these critical systems.
- Coach and mentor engineers of varying levels within your organization for career development and progression.
- Build a team of high performing software engineers utilizing your experience screening, interviewing, and growing elite development teams.
- Participate in and lead design and architecture reviews, handle production incidents, and run code reviews.
- Build and maintain a long-term vision and technical roadmap, as well as negotiate tight timelines to keep key initiatives on schedule.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in leading development teams, combined with a minimum of 8 years hands-on experience in software engineering on global development teams
- MS/BS degree in Computer Science or related technical discipline, or equivalent professional experience
Your Preferred Qualifications:
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with partners and clients across various disciplines
- Excellent communication skills across, up, and down a global organization
- Demonstrated ability to grow, develop, and mentor and motivate teams
- Experience working in and being a proponent of an agile development environment
- Experience delivering production-quality distributed applications in a professional software engineering role
- Experience with AWS technologies highly desired
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as One Team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We passionately strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.