Expedia Flights team is dedicated to building experiences that help travelers like you go places and make our world more connected. Our Flights Shopping Platform is one of the largest in the world and serves over 150 million queries a day powering some of the strongest industry brands like Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, and Wotif.
The specific team is Best Fare search that owns a high-performance distributed data and computational platform for Flights Search. As an Engineering Manager on the team, you will help re-architect and improve our data services related to ingestion, processing, and storage. You will also utilize machine-learning infrastructure to improve customer relevance for existing and new product offerings. The team size is 5 people with future opportunity for growth.
What you'll do:
- Lead and define the technical direction for evolving flight search services for Expedia Group.
- Design for high-performance, highly scalable, distributed cloud backend applications.
- Hands-on coding for some percentage of time.
- Interpret, analyze, and work with large amounts of data and produce insights.
- Contribute to advancing the team’s design methodology and quality programming practices.
- Partner with product team, and technical members in the extended team to build the team charter, and manage expectations on delivery.
- Foster an environment of continuous engineering improvement through mentoring, feedback, and metrics.
Who you are:
- At least 5+ years of proven industry experience during which you’ve built scalable, highly performant, and fault-tolerant distributed systems
- At least 2+ years of direct management experience where you mentored engineers and managed performance
- Enjoy writing code to help with prototyping, improving process efficiencies, among other things
- Experience working with cloud technologies for compute, data, and queues (e.g. AWS EC2, Cassandra, Redis, Kafka, AWS SQS etc.)
- Experience in dealing with production issues and using retrospectives to resolve customer problems
- Knowledge of airline or global distribution system (GDS) is a plus
- Embody growth-mindset and keep raising the bar for themselves and for the team
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, Vrbo®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® Cruise® and SilverRail Technologies, Inc. For more information, visit www.expediagroup.com.
LI – MS1
Read Full Job Description