Front End Developer
Job Description: Front End Developer
About Geocaching HQ
We are the global headquarters for the game of geocaching. Our apps and Geocaching.com website allow a global community of more than 10 million people to join in a real-world treasure hunt.
Our mission (and yours should you choose to accept it) is to inspire and enable discovery, exploration, and adventure. Basically, everyone’s job here is to enable millions of people to have fun outside. How cool is that?
As a front end developer, you architect large-scale, enterprise-level web applications and help define the standards for web development on Geocaching.com. You’ll work closely with product designers to prototype and develop new features and collaborate with backend engineers to define data contracts and API requirements. You perform peer reviews with other developers, document everything, and lead by example by writing code that is scalable, modular, and robust.
What we’re looking for:
- 3+ years of relevant web application development experience, including a minimum of 1-2 years supporting production code within a modern JS framework such as Backbone, React/Redux, etc.
- Experience with CSS preprocessors and writing CSS at scale.
- Proficiency with current NodeJS-based build tooling such as npm and Webpack.
- Demonstrated ability to develop complex, progressively-enhanced responsive applications for a variety of browsers, operating systems, and screen sizes.
- Understanding of cross-browser compatibility issues and how to work around them.
- Working knowledge of accessibility standards and SEO best practices.
- Understanding of web performance best practices and performance profiling.
- Experience with TDD or writing client-side unit and integration tests.
- Proficiency using Git in an Agile development team setting.
- Solid understanding of UX and a commitment to putting the user first.
- Experience with section 508 compliance, particularly in the context of SPAs.
- Experience supporting or implementing multilingual/international applications.
- Leads by example and exemplifies our values in actions and behaviors
- Superb communication, interpersonal, analytical and negotiation skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Exhibits tact and proper judgment under pressure and in sensitive situations
- Desire to learn and a “quick study” with new concepts, systems, and technologies
- Self-directed and open to coaching/feedback
- Uses independent judgment to plan, organize, and prioritize workload
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to remain stationary for long periods of time. In this position, you must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
This job description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the only duties, responsibilities, and qualification for this job. Incumbents may be required to follow any additional related instructions, acquire related job skills and perform other related work as required.