Front-End Software Engineer, Voice Features
Outreach provides customer-facing users with multi-channel orchestration platform for all their customer communication. Voice calling accounts for a large percentage of this communication which is owned by the Voice Features team. The team’s goal is to drive efficient revenue generation by enabling Outreach users to make efficient, reliable, and high-quality voice calls to keep in touch with their customers, and comply with data management and security policies.
Our team needs people to help us with our ambitious goals.
About the Team
Our system handles half a million voice calls per day. Nearly everything an Outreach customer does involves our part of the system, and we never want to be in the way of our users reaching their customers - or their goals. We’re charged with designing and delivering impactful features, like real-time call transcription, which requires a crisp design approach to answer nebulous and challenging problems.
We leverage a third-party vendor, Twilio, for establishing and controlling real-time voice calls via WebRTC and APIs. Customers trust us with their privacy and data, and with their customer contacts. New legislation and practices (like GDPR) demand compliance that we take seriously, and they keep our work dynamic.
Voice Calling is one of the most visible features of our product. Due to the real-time nature of voice calls, our systems need to have very low latency and high resiliency. We’re currently working to improve our systems and scale them to larger volumes so we can accommodate even bigger customers. Our road-map contains a rich suite of features for our customers focusing on communication flexibility and efficiency.
On the Voice Features Team We:
- Implement new features for placing calls efficiently and reliably
- Ship code to production every day
- Help our customers drive customer communication, resulting in effective and efficient sales contacts that drive their organization’s revenue
- Practice Agile development, with Sprints and regular retrospectives
- Function in a highly progressive, quick-iteration environment focused on delivering consistent, incremental customer value
- Function as a highly collaborative, cross-functional team and foster a learning environment
- Own the end-to-end implementation of voice features, from the front-end user experience to back-end services and datastores
Your Daily Adventures Will Include
- 3+ years experience building high quality web applications in a modern web stack. The software we currently use includes React, Typescript, Webpack, Jest, Babel, and CSS Modules.
- Making changes in our Ruby on Rails back-end application services as needed to implement front-end features
- Collaborating with designers to implement intuitive user interfaces
- Responding to changing requirements efficiently and responsibly
- Helping us build customer trust by keeping the quality bar high and delivering well tested code
- Working with stakeholders to gather and understand requirements
- Learning new tools and skill sets
- Quickly becoming a strong contributor on the team
- Experience consuming web-based APIs such as RESTGreat communications skills
- Familiarity with continuous-deployment projects
- Willing to go above and beyond to help other team members
- Understanding of the impact on the reliability and efficiency of our service
- Willing to learn from others, and flexible in approachFocus on complete solutions
- You embody our core values. We are hungry craftspeople, we have grit, we are honest, we take ownership, we have each other’s back no matter what, we’re one with our customers, and we find strength in diversity and inclusion
Read Full Job Description