Front-End Web Developer
PayScale is the world leader in modern compensation software. We believe data-informed discussions about compensation benefit both employers and employees and that greater pay transparency promotes equity, engagement and employee retention. We are bringing the dark art of compensation into the light by helping individuals understand the right pay for their position and more than 7,000 businesses retain and manage their largest investment: their people.
We’re transforming the compensation industry and are looking to bring on talented professionals like you with diverse perspectives. At PayScale, we acknowledge and value our differences as well as our combined strengths. We want all employees, regardless of their background, to feel respected personally and professionally. We foster a working environment that generates new ideas, promotes ownership and experimentation and encourages highly motivated individuals to be truly creative. Are you bright, tenacious, and inventive? If so, PayScale may be the perfect place for you to grow your career.
In this role, you will have two main functions:
1. Code Engaging Stories and Experiences
You will work with a cross-functional team (designers, content strategists, data analysts) focused on delivering value to PayScale’s audiences primarily through the creation of original content experiences that may include audio/video/charts/data visualizations/text/etc. Think NYT’s highly praised “Snowfall” piece http://www.nytimes.com/projects/2012/snow-fall/#/?part=tunnel-creek or this Marie Claire report on Women and Guns. http://www.marieclaire.com/politics/a18016/women-and-guns/. These should inform, delight and look excellent on all screen sizes.
These projects run like they would in a newsroom. If you thrive in a deadline-driven environment and will be thrilled to see your work mentioned in credible publications like The New York Times, Washington Post, Time, etc., this is the job for you. That being said, we expect you to leave work at the doorstep and have a rich life outside of the office. There’s an occasional late night when we’re on deadline, but it’s atypical.
2. Support Our WordPress Infrastructure
You will collaborate with the marketing/editorial team on ways to make us all more efficient, such as creating reusable WordPress templates and tools. These tools will empower our writers and marketing team members to own and change major site content without knowing any HTML.
You will also track and improve performance, fix bugs, and generally work to make the marketing portions of the site up to date with standard methodologies.
The Person: The ideal candidate brings the following to the table:
- A passion for storytelling and thoughtful UX
- Eagerness to grow and learn, and a willingness to pitch-in where needed
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills – working with multple stakeholders at various levels of technological proficiency, documenting as you go
- Exceptional organizational skills and the ability to juggle multiple concurrent projects
- An aptitude for learning and using technology tools
- 2-5+ years front-end software development experience, preferably for consumer-facing websites.
- Familiarity/experience with unit testing and crafting testable code.
- NICE TO HAVE: Experience with data vizualization tools such as Tableau, d3.js and familiarity with Atlassian tools such as Jira, Confluence, and Bitbucket.
PayScale provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. PayScale complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Benefits We Offer:
- Unlimited Paid Time Off policy
- 100% company paid medical/vision/dental/prescription premiums for employees (50% for eligible dependents and partners)
- Four Flexible Spending Account (FSA) options for pre-tax employee allocations towards:
- Dependent Care (can be used towards day care costs)
- Long Term Disability, Short Term Disability, and Company-paid Life Insurance
- Maternity and Paternity Leave
- 10 paid holidays
- Summer office closure, entire week of July 4th
- 401k with company match, vests immediately
- Casual dress code (JSS - Jeans, shorts, and sandals welcome!)
- Onsite lockers, showers, and clothes dryer
- Bike storage
- Coworkers you actually like...
- Gender neutral bathrooms on most floors
- Mothers' Room
- Sitting-Standing ergo friendly desks
- Weekly company sponsored happy hours
- Fido Fridays (our canine colleagues join us the first Friday of every month.)