Integrations & Networking Engineer, Labs
Unity Labs’ Authoring Tools Group makes tools for augmented and virtual reality developers. You’ll be responsible for integration and networking on our Mixed and Augmented Reality Studio (MARS). MARS is a new tool that allows developers to create, visualize, and test against simulated real-world data directly in the editor. The goal is to help devs make cool games, interesting applications, and entire real-world multiple concurrently running spatial interfaces.
Your job entails working with the integrations lead to build out support for key partners that have interesting and useful real-world data, with a particular bent towards networking technologies: “AR Cloud” platforms, re-localization, matchmaking, database integration, and cloud pipelines, as well as computer vision information, geospatial data, depth sensors, and so on. MARS needs to help developers make sense of, and develop directly for, all of these kinds of data. This includes both hardware and software partners.
Integrations engineering is a key part of Unity’s goal to be the best possible realtime tool for all kinds of 3D creation. You’ll be helping to define and improve quick iteration and world simulation for augmented reality tools today, and spatial computing over the next decades.
Networking in particular is a key piece of the mixed reality future: multi-user and multi-platform shared spaces and interactions, persistent virtual objects, and streaming content will all be first-class citizens of MARS’ workflow and functionality.
Labs’ Authoring Tools Group is a diverse team of passionate XR developers and thinkers. We care deeply about helping developers be able to make apps that can truly run in the real world. In joining the team, you’ll be helping to move the entire industry forward towards real ubiquitous spatial computing.
This role may involve some amount of travel to other offices, though we are happy to work with your schedule and responsibilities. Additionally, this role is a product development role, not a prototyping or research position.
- Work under the MARS integrations lead and alongside partner developers to support new types of network & platform data in MARS
- Work with the core Unity platforms integration team on related partner projects, like the XR SDK and AR Foundation
- Work alongside the frontend and backend teams to help define and surface new concepts for Unity developers
- Unity experience required, either as a user or an extensions developer
- Experience with networking techniques and technologies in and out of the Unity ecosystem
- Demonstrated interest in XR, either through professional experience or personal projects
- Familiarity or professional experience in C#, and C++
- Experience shipping and maintaining real products
- Previous work experience in AR hardware company or world data provider is a significant plus
- Have true passion for, and enjoyment of, spatial computing
- Related mixed reality development, personal or professional, is a significant bonus
- Strong communication skills are useful as we often give talks across Labs, both internally and externally
- Experience with demos and prototyping
Who we are
Unity is the creator of the world’s most widely-used real-time 3D (RT3D) development platform, providing content creators around the world with the tools they need to build rich, interactive 2D, 3D, VR and AR experiences. In fact, apps made with Unity reach 2.7 billion devices worldwide, and were installed more than 24 billion times in the last 12 months.
The global engineering team keeps Unity at the forefront of technology and — working alongside partners like Magic Leap, Google, Facebook, Oculus and Microsoft — ensures optimized support for the latest technology and platforms. Unity is powering the real-time revolution, expanding beyond games and breaking into other industries including automotive, film, architecture, engineering, construction and more.
Unity is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this Web site or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.