Interview Question Engineer at Karat
Interviews are the gateway between people and jobs--they are a critical connection point. And yet, while the interview is a universal experience, it has never been recognized as its own discipline. In fact, the vast majority of people conducting interviews receive no formal training in how to do so.Karat is the market leader in Interview Engineering
At Karat, our mission is to make every interview predictive, fair, and enjoyable. To do so, we created and established the category of Interview Engineering.
Karat conducts technical interviews on behalf of organizations hiring software engineers. We do this through a community of Interview Engineers who are equipped with Karat's interviewing infrastructure, battle-tested questions, and data-informed best practices. The result is highly predictive and fair interviews at scale that candidates truly enjoy. Karat has amassed the largest, most robust dataset of structured-interview intelligence to produce never-before-seen hiring analytics.
Founded in 2014, Karat is a privately held and venture-funded company based in Seattle. Key clients include Pinterest, PayPal, Citrix, Intuit, and InVision.Content and question development at Karat
We are committed to ensuring that these interviews are the most predictive, fair, and enjoyable available to software engineering candidates and teams. This requires a large database of skillfully designed interview questions that align with the signals being sought for by hiring companies.
Each interview challenge gives a signal on any number of competencies — you'll be responsible for planning, designing, and writing an interview question from start to finish to bring out the competency signals in accordance with the specific needs of each client.Core Responsibilities
- Work alongside other Question Engineers under the direction of the Content Management team to deliver progress on a well-defined development schedule.
- Develop assessment challenges adhering to guidelines
- Formulating a proposal
- Drafting prototype assessment challenges
- Writing comprehensive documentation for interviewers that will use your challenges
- Iterating through review cycles with fellow Question Engineers and integrating feedback received during reviews
- Testing and proving out the efficacy of your challenges
- Launching your challenge and refining them with ongoing feedback
- Assist with the improvement and maintenance of our existing assessment challenge library
This is a remote team. We use the following tools to collaborate together:
- Our main communication hub
- For regularly scheduled Content Development Stand Up meetings and 1:1 meetings
- All Assessment Challenges are developed using git for version control. We use GitLab issue tracking to move development forward.
- You enjoy writing content, assessments and interviews
- You are a technical expert in some fashion, whether it is writing interview coding questions or assessing technical knowledge and expertise in a specific programming language, framework or domain
- Can commit 10-20 hrs/week for at least 6 weeks per assessment challenge you work on
- Starting rate is $80/hr for baseline experience
- In-depth knowledge about a particular domain of software engineering or a framework
- 3-4+ years software engineering experience
- Bachelor's, Master's or Doctorate level degree education in Computer Science
- Experience working as an interviewer, designing interview assessment challenges or questions, or work that required you to think deeply about assessing candidates
There are a multiple backgrounds and experiences that could be a good fit for this role:
- a deep generalist in a domain like front-end development, or
- a subject matter expert in a domain like machine learning, or
- a specialist in just one framework, like ReactJS, or
- a domain specialist in an entire language ecosystem like Java, or
- an academic with in-depth theoretical computer science expertise, or
- an educator with learning, content development and assessment expertise, or
- an engineer with a proven track record of eliminating bias and inequity in interview processes, or
- an engineering hiring manager with strong skills in hiring and performance assessment
Statement of Non-Discrimination:
In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on “protected categories,” we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at Karat.
We value a diverse workforce: people of color, womxn, and LGBTQIA+ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
With thanks to the Level Playing Field Institute for this statement of non-discrimination.