Manager, Software Development at Expedia Group
Do you thrive in an environment focused on innovation, continuous delivery and test automation? Do you seek out teams working on key strategic initiatives? Are you interested in an opportunity to evolve Expedia-centric services into a cohesive travel platform?
Expedia’s eCommerce Platform (eCP) team is looking for a Development Manager as part of our Financial Systems and Core Transactional Services (FCTS) team, to lead the effort to design, build and deploy the next generation of Trip and Transaction Search services at Expedia Group. You will be instrumental in the performance of our team to ensure that we meet the global needs of our business while limiting technical debt and advancing the DevOps culture. Bring your relentless drive for results and help us deliver on the platform vision. This 400-person organization operating between Expedia’s Global Brands, Supply Offerings, and Finance Teams, is the transactional heartbeat of Expedia Group. FCTS is composed of two key platform components – Financial Systems, primarily based on the Oracle E-Business Suite (EBS); and the Core Transaction Platform that comprises Order and Fulfillment Orchestration, Trip Management, Tax Services and Incentive Services. Through our technology and operations infrastructure, we handle billions of dollars of bookings, collections, and payments every month. This role will primarily focus on the Core Transaction Platform, one of the platforms operated by FCTS.
Who you are:
- You are a seasoned full stack software engineer with progressive experience building and delivering solutions at scale.
- You have experience as a technical lead and/or development manager for large scale projects.
- You have the technical chops to still code and deep dive on support issues when called upon as well as soft skills necessary to lead architecture discussions, drive new initiatives and hire/develop talented engineers.
What you will do:
- Bring 8+ years of software engineering experience, 4+ as a lead and mentor
- Hire and develop top talent within your own team and participate in hiring across other teams.
- Provide coaching on relevant competencies for the engineers in your own team and others as needed.
- Act as a catalyst to drive your staff’s career development by providing actionable feedback, coaching and finding opportunities within and outside of your team.
- Drive your team to innovate and deliver roadmap features with agility and high quality.
- Ensure a set of development practices are followed to assure quality and long-term health of the services your team owns.
- Perform reviews of all designs to make sure that they address failure modes, scalability, security and are suitable for tier 1 services.
- Represent your services and team in cross-functional discussions.
- Work with the product and program management team to maintain a roadmap for your team.
- Provide operational support for the services you own. This includes providing an on-call rotation and acting as an escalation path to resolve issues.
- Make improvements to your services to improve their success. This includes performing routine review of key metrics, diving deep into significant anomalies and taking corrective actions as necessary.
- Promote and demonstrate the Operational Excellence mentality within your team.
- Run meetings, create and maintain timelines, and keep large, diverse groups informed of progress and obstacles.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience building transactional middleware in Java
- Diverse background with data storage technologies (RDBMS, NoSql, Document Store, in memory key/value, search systems)
- Cloud experience on AWS/Hybrid Cloud
- Prior management experience: direct reports, hiring, career management
- Experience with Apache Solr a plus
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
*LI-MS1Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.