Manager, Software Development
Are you passionate about building and leading engineering teams, leveraging machine learning, and the harnessing the data and technology needed to drive a multi-billion dollar business?
As a Manager, Software Development within Global Customer Operations (GCO), you will provide coaching and leadership to a team dedicated to driving technology innovation to create effortless customer experiences worldwide in Expedia Group apps, web sites, support channels, and contact centers via our Virtual Agent Platform. We support over 80 million customer interactions a year and over 12 thousand agents – across a global brand portfolio and workforce. GCO's Data and Intelligence team is looking for an leader with skillsets and experiences that demonstrate proficiency in engineering and machine learning. Our team is building out learning and intelligence services that power Expedia Group's Virtual Agents to address customer needs in an optimal manner without needing human intervention.
In this role, with your experience, skill set, and passion for coaching and motivating others, you and your team will create models and services that drive customer effort down and improve customer self-service at Expedia, empowering millions of travelers to enjoy their perfect trip.What you'll do:
- Guide and coach a team to successfully deliver on lofty goals with speed and quality
- Promote development of maintainable and thoroughly tested code
- Ensure your team is following machine learning and engineering excellence best practices
- Provide ongoing, real-time feedback to engineers on your team to promote their growth; Partner with others to collect feedback and manage team progress toward goals
- Communicate clearly to product managers, stakeholders and engineers to remove ambiguity from larger projects; Provide high level engineering estimates and resource allocation
- Collaborate with architects, engineers and data scientistsin defining solutions that leverage data insights as well as your technical perspective in furthering the product and business
- Cross organizational boundaries (brands, divisions) to collaborate with other technology teams to solve complex, integrated problems
- 5+ years software development experience in an enterprise level engineering environment
- 3+ years machine learning / data science experience, preferably with projects including natural language
- Proven experience in leadership and team building
- The utmost passion for both technology and leadership
- BS degree in Computer Science or related discipline
- Strong knowledge of Python and Java
- Expertise in agile software development methodologies and using them effectively within teams
- Excellent communication and organizational skills - able to translate between technical and business group, bring forward a vision or opinion
- Ability to lead multiple tasks and projects simultaneously, prioritize decisions and tasks effectively, and thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Understanding of trade-offs of architectural patterns and comfort in recommending approaches and associated technology choices
Our mission is to revolutionize travel through the power of technology.
Collectively, the Expedia, Inc. brands cover virtually every aspect of researching, planning, and booking travel, from choosing the best airplane seat, to reading personal travel reviews of hotels, to planning what to do in a destination once you arrive. The Expedia, Inc. portfolio serves both leisure and business travelers with tastes and budgets ranging from modest to luxury. Expedia delivers consumer travel demand from nearly every continent to thousands of hotels and vacation rentals, hundreds of airlines, thousands of activities, and dozens of car rental companies and cruise lines.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All individuals who apply, and meet the minimum requirements, will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Please visit www.expediainc.com to learn more about our travel brands.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.