Manager, Software Development at Expedia Group
Manager, Software Development
Expedia Group’s Global Payments organization (EGP) is responsible for designing, building and operating a unique set of payment services for Expedia Group's brands (Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, HomeAway, Egencia, the Expedia Affiliate Network, etc.), suppliers (hoteliers, airlines, rental agencies, etc.), and a variety of corporate needs. We do this accurately and at scale, processing over $80 billion payments in 55+ currencies in over 155 countries every year across diverse payment options.
Technology and innovation are at the heart of our organization. EGP offers a highly dynamic set of services that enable customers from all over the world to pay for travel in a variety of ways. Our services are the nexus of a globally distributed system that spans many organizations. Our roadmap is deep and contains several innovative programs designed to make our services fault tolerant, reduce the cost of payment processing, and improve customer experience. This includes compensating for downstream services that are not in Expedia's control. We are also looking to use cloud computing (AWS) to further solidify our infrastructure. This opportunity presents you with great technical challenges and the ability to have a tremendous business impact. Our technologies not only reduce the cost of payments, we also reduce the amount of customer wait time and improve payments resiliency when downstream processing problems arise. We provide an abundance of functional support to services in our platform, and the needs are ever-growing, as we adapt to new payment solutions and capabilities.
Development managers are expected to ‘cover a lot of bases’ in terms of staff, development, quality, and operations. In this position, you have the opportunity to lead a talented team of engineers providing the next generation of innovative payment solutions used by millions of customers across the Expedia brands worldwide. This requires strong focus on system performance, scalability, availability and maintainability of solutions.
Successful candidates have an established track record of developing and delivering complex distributed software systems, a keen technical aptitude, excellent project management and communication skills, and are driven to achieve results in a fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Hire and develop top talent within your own team and participate in hiring across other teams.
- Provide coaching on all relevant competencies for the engineers in your own team and others as needed.
- Act as a catalyst to drive your staff’s career development by providing actionable feedback, coaching and finding opportunities within and outside of your team.
- Drive your team to innovate and deliver roadmap features with agility and high quality.
- Ensure a set of development practices are followed to assure quality and long-term health of the services your team owns.
- Perform reviews of all designs to make sure that they address failure modes, scalability, security and are suitable for tier 1 services.
- Represent your services and team in cross-functional discussions.
- Work with the product and program management team to maintain a roadmap for your team.
- Provide tier 3 operational support for the services you own. This includes providing an on-call rotation and acting as an escalation path to resolve issues.
- Make improvements to your services to improve their success. This includes performing routine review of key metrics, diving deep into significant anomalies and taking corrective actions as necessary.
- Promote and demonstrate the Operational Excellence mentality within your team.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- 3+ years management experience in a software development environment leading engineering teams.
- 8+ years software development work experience (Java experience strongly preferred).
- Experience in web application development and associated skills (HTTP, SOAP, REST, web services, etc.) in a high-stakes environment.
- Experience with relational database design and hands-on SQL coding.
- Strong working knowledge of software development technologies, specifically high volume solutions.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to recruit and manage technical teams, including performance management.
- Demonstrated ability to build consensus across the enterprise.
- Self-motivated, able to deal with ambiguity, and work well under pressure to meet deadlines within short time constraints
- High degree of competency within all phases of software development - Estimation, Scheduling, Design, Development, Testing and Delivery, and Maintenance.
- A track record of developing your reports to meet their career goals.
- A BS degree in computer science or equivalent experience.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Prior experience with e-Commerce systems, Payments Solutions and Providers is a big plus.
- Prior experience of building and managing services in AWS.
- Experience developing fault tolerant distributed systems is highly desirable.
- Working knowledge of Agile Software Development mechanics.
- Background in Service Oriented Architecture implementation, service versioning, and backward compatibility
Why join us
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
*LI-JA1Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.