Manager, Software Development
When was the last time you had an opportunity to work at a company that was forging an industry and enabling people to get from idea to impact – fast! Smartsheet’s purpose is to empower everyone to improve how they work. Our business is built on finding great people and getting out of their way while they build and improve our award-winning Software as a Service (SaaS) offering. With over 10 million users, our platform gets used across disparate industries ranging from construction to retail to software development. This presents us with unique technical challenges.
We are looking for a Software Development Manager of Software Engineering to build a top-tier software organization that will help design and implement Smartsheet’s next gen architecture. In this role, you will mentor other engineers, scale the team and can act as a lead on projects. You will drive positive change in the work environment with a consistent track record of delivering on commitments. You will communicate proactively and effectively to different kinds of audiences, including executives and non-technical stakeholders.
This position is based at our headquarters in Bellevue, WA and will report to Director/Senior Director of Engineering. We are currently looking for Senior Software Development Managers to manage Front-end, Back-end or FullStack teams.
Our team focuses on distributed decision making that rewards ownership, transparency, and collaboration. Learn more about our platform here: Smartsheet Overview Video
Job Responsibilities Include:
- Technical leader:
- Guide and mentor team members regarding architecture and best practices
- Review and coach team on project designs for design review presentations
- Ensure all projects that affect the live site are presented in design review
- Ensure all projects that have a system impact undergo a deployment review
- Influence technical direction of the group
- Initiates, leads and delivers significant improvements in the effectiveness of engineers across multiple teams
- Brings teams together, finds and promotes solutions when issues inhibit effectiveness of multiple teams
- Able to completely run the team as if it's a small startup in a bigger ecosystem with broad cross-team focus.
- Product leader:
- Analyze feature sets for market effectiveness: facilitate appropriate feedback and discussions with Product and Design
- Analyze feature sets for implementation efficiency and performance: facilitates feedback and discussions with Product and Design
- Forge strong partnership with product management and other key areas of the business
- Communicate proactively and often with peers, executives and team members
- Quality Champion:
- Ensure projects are fully tested before being deployed
- Ensure projects have an appropriate amount of automated and manual tests
- Deployment plans are well considered and include appropriate scalability and load tests.
- Deployments are monitored to ensure success
- Features are properly monitored and maintained after they go live.
- Resource manager:
- Resources are being deployed appropriately and efficiently with regard to product management objectives
- Resource usage, changes, and schedules are kept up to date and are communicated effectively
- Actively participate in recruiting
- 10+ years software development experience
- 5+ years previous management experience
- Experience building highly scalable, high available customer facing applications
- Experience building teams including, recruiting and retention
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment with frequent production releases
- Familiarity with Agile/Scrum methodologies
- Legally eligible to work in the U.S. on an ongoing basis
Nice to haves:
- Familiarity with SaaS apps (Google Docs, Office365, Salesforce, etc.)
- MySQL database experience (performance, scalability, availability)
- Experience with AWS technologies
- Experience developing, documenting, and supporting REST APIs