Apptio seeks to hire a Principal Architect who will serve as a chief architect and be responsible for leading the architectural strategy for the Apptio analytics platform, known to the market as Cost Transparency. This position reports to the VP, Engineering.
The ideal candidate will be skilled in the architecture, design and development of SaaS enterprise applications. This person will drive technical strategy pertaining to large scale analytics and platform capability. The successful candidate will be a technologist, designer, team leader, and hands-on coder enjoying the depth of high performance, large scale, service-oriented systems.
If this sounds interesting, you need to be someone who is a team builder who wants to make an impact and guide teams through both brand new & modernization efforts to existing applications.
We are a talented, highly motivated team empowered to make a positive difference every day. Our passion is focused on our customers and enhancing our solutions to improve their experiences and exceed growing demands. We welcome your experience as a Software Architect and team player to scale our very successful product to the next level.
What we want you to do:
The architect is responsible for Apptio’s full application stack, from database through analytics layers to web front-end. Your specific role will be to ensure that Apptio discovers, designs and delivers the right core capabilities to power Apptio’s core Analytics product lines. You will develop and guide a multi-year architectural strategy and technical roadmap. You will need to be passionate about building value and quality-oriented software, simple, powerful, scalable services and innovative SaaS architectures. The architect is not only the steward of the technical system but also a champion for all the developers ensuring they are informed, productive, and growing.
As the most senior individual contributor on the Technology Business Management (TBM) team and one of a handful of the senior technologists in the company, you will be responsible for strategic architectural planning across TBM and across the company. The architect will be involved in daily activities including: iteration planning, coding, design reviews, and technical discussions to set and determine technical direction. Additionally, you will work closely with Apptio’s executive leadership and all engineering teams responsible for delivering solutions that power the business. You will be one of the key members of a small group of Architects and Principal Engineers that sets and implements technical direction for the company, with sponsorship from Apptio’s CTO and other Technical Executives in the company.
As the Architect for Analytics Platform your responsibilities will include:
- Define and drive the strategy and multi-year plan for Apptio’s core analytics product lines. As part of this, you will drive/facilitate architecture decisions and technical strategy evolution with stake-holders across the company.
- Write high quality, impactful software! Deliver a high-availability Analytics Platform, comprised of services, globally to enterprise customers with hundreds and thousands of users.
- Holistically ensure that product and technical ideas are rationalized and prioritized and then integrated into product plans to deliver customer value and meet market demand.
- Analyze, propose and integrate new tools and technologies to extend TBM’s Architecture as it relates to the Analytics platform.
- Innovate and deliver capabilities for SaaS–based business applications utilizing a highly scalable and secure distributed platform.
- Work closely with the product management team to identify, scope, and prioritize applications and features. Work with the TBM engineering team leaders to identify, scope, prioritize, and teach people about, platform capabilities. Own the fulfillment of the product roadmap with the engineering teams.
- Explain / evangelize Analytic Platform capabilities to internal and external audiences.
- Provide mentorship to principal engineers across the company and help with the hiring of additional senior engineering talent for the company.
- Collaborate with other senior members of the development staff on Apptio-wide system design and architecture; assure that your product needs are considered and meeting the business needs
- Minimum 10 years commercial software experience with at least five years in the role as a hands-on architect.
- Deep experience in delivering SaaS solutions with a DevOps mindset; Proven track record of leading the design and architecture of high-quality enterprise applications on time
- Knowledge and experience with Real-time, service-oriented, distributed systems and multi-dimensional analytic systems & OLAP (this is critical to role success)
- Proven experience migrating applications to the Cloud (AWS, Azure or GCP)
- Expert level Java or C++ coding knowledge (OO design, generally)
- Current in technology trends, knowledge, and experience:
o Database technology, both SQL and NoSQL
o Infrastructure resource management and config such as Yarn and Zookeeper
o Concurrent and multi-threading programming models
- Enthusiasm for Agile software development in a DevOps culture
- Passion and experience in mentoring and recruiting/team building
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent experience is required
- Low ego, people seek you out to partner with because of what you know and how you show it
- Expertise across multiple Cloud providers, including cloud-native development
- Proven track record of modernizing complex, monolithic, analytics applications
- Team builder with 5+ years of direct management experience of principle engineers
- Experience applying DevOps principles to drive effective product development
- Scrum/Agile SDLC advocate
- Proficient in working with teams geographically dispersed
**Apptio benefits include Company-Paid employee health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance and generous contributions to a health savings account. We also offer participation in a flexible spending account, 401k and other voluntary programs.
Apptio is the business management system of record for hybrid IT. We transform the way IT runs its business and makes decisions. With our cloud-based applications, IT leaders manage, plan and optimize their technology investments across on-premises and cloud. With Apptio, IT leaders become strategic partners to the business by demonstrating value of IT investments, accelerate innovation and shift their technology investments from running the business to digital innovation. Hundreds of customers choose Apptio as their business system of record for hybrid IT. For more information, please visit www.Apptio.com.
Apptio Inc. is not open to 3rd party solicitation or resumes for our posted FTE positions. Resumes received from 3rd party agencies that are unsolicited will be considered complimentary.
Apptio, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Apptio, Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.