Principal Backend Engineer
PayScale is the world leader in modern compensation software. Our rich data and unique algorithms power the world’s largest real-time database of salary profiles giving both employers and employees immediate visibility into the right pay for any position. We believe that transparent, fact-based relationships between companies and employees will generate the best outcomes, enabling both to thrive. We are bringing the dark art of compensation into the light by helping more than 6,500 businesses to stay competitive in the labor market and retain and manage their largest investment: their people.
We’re disrupting the compensation industry and are looking to bring on talented professionals with diverse perspectives. We foster a playful work atmosphere where highly motivated individuals can be truly innovative. Are you bright, tenacious, and inventive? If so, PayScale may be the perfect place for you to grow your career!
Headquartered in Seattle's Pioneer Square neighborhood, we are a fast-growing Warburg Pincus portfolio company who is thrilled to have brought the MarketPay product into our suite of offerings in 2016. We can't wait for you to join us!
About the Customer Data Ingestion Team:
Our charter: "We take the data from the customers, and put it in the products." This can take many forms, and really varies from project to project. Our tools help customers connect to Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS) and provide a centralized data store for all PayScale products to use.
Technologies You'll Be Using:
Our team tends to lean towards the back end, but we are a full-stack group.
- You'll use Azure to build and maintain our event-source data store. This is a high-throughput system that all products rely on.
- You'll work on and in our customer data ETL pipeline. All customer data will flow through this multi-component system. You'll hook up HRIS vendors in C# code, transform the data in Python, and push into our event store.
- You'll work in existing React front-end apps, and compose new apps as necessary.
What You'll Do:
- You are the 4th member of a small and mighty team.
- You will work in a collaborative team environment with highly skilled specialists in many areas, including: event-source systems, CQRS, distributed systems, Azure, Service-oriented Architecture.
- The products you build will be heavily-leveraged by other teams within PayScale.
- 12+ years of professional backend or platform development experience.
- You are strong with object-oriented programming (e.g. C#, Java).
- Strong knowledge of relational databases (e.g. SQL Server, Oracle, DB2, MySQL).
- Working knowledge of no-SQL databases (e.g. Mongo, DynamoDB, Cassandra, CosmoDB).
- You have the ability to explain technical concepts to developers, project managers, and technical managers.
- You are able and desire to work with a team of people solving complex problems that often require independent research with minimal supervision.
Do you like asking questions, solving problems and thinking critically? You'll like it here.
PayScale provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. PayScale complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
- Unlimited Paid Time Off policy
- 100% company paid medical/vision/dental/prescription premiums for employees (50% for eligible dependents and partners)
- Four Flexible Spending Account (FSA) options for pre-tax employee allocations towards:
- Dependent Care (can be used towards day care costs!)
- Long Term Disability, Short Term Disability, and Company-paid Life Insurance
- Maternity and Paternity Leave
- 10 paid holidays!
- Summer Office Closure, entire week of July 4th
- 401-k with company match, vests immediately
- Casual dress code (JSS - Jeans, shorts, and sandals welcome!)
- Onsite lockers, showers, and clothes dryer
- Bike storage
- Coworkers you actually like...
- Gender neutral bathrooms on most floors
- Mothers' Room
- Sitting-Standing ergo friendly desks
- Weekly company sponsored happy hours
- Work from home Wednesdays
- Fido Fridays (our canine colleagues join us the first Friday of every month. WOOF!)