Zipwhip is a Seattle, WA-based SaaS (Software-as-a-Service) company that is changing the way businesses and consumers communicate. We are one of the main reasons it is possible to text with a business today. Zipwhip was the first company to enable texting on existing business phone numbers, and we are now the world’s leading business-texting software and API provider. More than 35,000 companies use us to increase customer engagement and drive growth through texting on their existing landline, VoIP or toll-free phone number. Intuitive cloud-based software, an enterprise-grade API and direct network connectivity mean businesses can use any computer or mobile device to reach their customers securely and reliably, every time.
Our strong venture backing allows us to aggressively invest in our product, technology, and team; we have received nearly $100 million in funding from the likes of Goldman Sachs, M12 (Microsoft Ventures) and OpenView. We are consistently ranked one of Washington’s fastest-growing workplaces and were voted the 6th best place to work in the state by Seattle Business magazine and The Puget Sound Business Journal in 2019. And now we are expanding internationally- building teams and growing our presence in Calgary.
Every day we work to uphold our core DIRECT values: Determination, Innovation, Respect, Enthusiasm, Collaboration and Trust. We know that we will build better products if we have a diverse and inspired team that is encouraged to make mistakes and experiment.
If you want to be part of a team where you are supported and empowered to change the way the world communicates, then we would love to hear from you.
We are searching for an Developer Manager to build and grow their own team and to leverage their experience building and maintaining highly scalable and resilient services to power our messaging platform. We are looking for leaders that take pride in delivering quality products and are enthusiastic about technology and strive for the opportunity to learn and share their knowledge. Not only is this an opportunity to join the team as one of our first managers in Canada but you’ll help lead the creation of building a key team that delivers on innovation of our messaging platform.
How this role makes an impact:
- Are a highly motivated leader with passion to empower and grow an engineering team.
- Will bring your unique set of diverse experiences and background to our team in an open and collaborative manner so that we can all expand and grow better and faster.
- Have a desire to leverage your expertise but also dive into lesserknownlesser known areas of technology, architecture, or whatever is needed to solve engineering day-to-day challenges.
- Have an open and honest communication style that always puts the customer first “Will the customer be delighted with this?”
- You care about diversity- in team, in products, and work to create a psychologically safe work environment for all employees.
- Are comfortable dealing with ambiguity and a shifting landscape.
- Are curious, willing to learn, share and improve.
- Have a strong sense of ownership and accountability for the product you are delivering.
- Will lead through modeling and championing our DIRECT values of Determination, Innovation, Respect, Enthusiasm, Collaboration, and Trust- with customer centricity at the heart of all
What’s the job really?
- Responsible for designing, developing, testing, maintaining and shipping high quality features and services that connect businesses to millions of customers.
- Responsible for building large scale, high volume, highly available and reliable messaging platform that powers our SaaS platform and commercial messaging API.
- Managing, mentoring, and providing technical leadership to a team of engineers throughout the project lifecycle.
- Responsible for leading sprint planning, design brainstorming sessions and code reviews.
- Responsible for the planning, the execution, and the success of technical projects on the roadmap.
- Working collaboratively with product managers and stakeholders to own & manage a rapidly evolving product roadmap that delivers on company goals.
What to bring:
- Bachelor’s Degree in CS or related field or equivalent working experience.
- 3+ years of engineering management experience.
- Track record of building highly functioning teams, including recruiting, mentoring and retaining diverse talent base.
- 10+ years of related software development experience shipping multiple products / services.
- Proficiency in one or more programing languages including Java, Scala, C, C++.
- Curiosity and interest in learning new programing languages and frameworks.
- Experience designing and implementing large scale solutions.
- Experience with message queuing technologies like Kafka and JMS.
- Experience working in distributed and concurrent systems.
- Experience working with Enterprise Integration Patterns.
- Mentoring and coaching through design and code reviews.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Working in agile teams or startup environment with strong customer focus.
- Demonstrated organizational agility, cross-team collaboration, commitment for results, and excellent written and verbal communications.
- Commitment for engineering practices that ensure safe and fast paced releases of services.
- Ranked the #6 best workplace in Washington in 2019 from Seattle Business magazine and The Puget Sound Business Journal
- We value diversity and strive to create an environment where everyone can feel safe, valued, empowered, and connected.
- A fun, lively startup culture and a brand new Headquartered office in Seattle (we can’t wait to get back there post COVID) We don’t just talk the talk. Our award-winning culture stems from having a core set of values that are lived daily and are at the forefront of all we do.
- Ample opportunities for professional growth, internal advancement and movement, and company-supported learning.
- Competitive compensation and stock options.
- Full benefits package including parental leave, retirement plan options, PTO, and medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance.
- Virtual wellness offerings (yoga, meditation) and other wellness offerings.
- Stipend for transportation and cell phone usage.
- A culture of transparency and open communication, including a weekly Company update meeting (catered weekly lunch when on-site working) hosted by our CEO
Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of the job.
This job is work from home friendly though occasional travel to Headquarters post COVID will be necessary.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity of all kinds. We prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally recognized basis. This includes, but isn’t limited to, race, color, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, creed, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, age, veteran status, disability or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.
We are an E-verify participating employer.