Principal Software Development Engineer - Front End
We are the Agent and Customer Experience (ACE) arm of Expedia's Global Customer Operations (GCO). We are responsible for building intuitive, highly scalable customer service experiences, to seamlessly connect our customers with intelligent virtual agents.
Are you passionate about travel, technology, and providing customers with the very best experience? Do you love building creative solutions to tough problems, using state of the art technologies? If so, this opportunity is a great fit for you.
As a Principal Software Development Engineer, you will play a key role in shaping and executing on an ambitious vision for the future of customer service and support. You will work with a hard-working group of product managers, architects, and engineers to deliver the best possible experience for agents and customers. You will provide technical thought leadership for a global, dynamic, and growing engineering organization with opportunities to still go deep as we build our next generation virtual agent chatbot platform.
What you’ll do:
- You will design, build and support scalable, resilient solutions, using cloud-based technologies in an agile manner
- You will collaborate across Product Management, UX, Architecture, and Engineering teams, to deliver experiences that delight our customers
- You will coach and mentor a diverse team of engineers, fostering an environment of continuous improvement, and championing innovation, quality, and operational excellence
- You will contribute thought leadership, architectural and technical direction to product vision and roadmap development, and ensure that the technical teams understand their strategic goals
- You will drive proof of concepts and pilots to accelerate the exploration and onboarding of new technologies and solutions to solve business problems
Who you are:
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related engineering discipline, or equivalent professional experience
- Experience building complex, multi-brand progressive/responsive web app user interfaces using React, Redux, MobX, NodeJS
- Solid understanding of web markup (HTML5 and CSS3)
- Nice to have: Experience in building conversational user interfaces to provide omnichannel experiences
- Demonstrated ability to deliver low-latency, resilient, highly scalable APIs
- Professional development experience in Scala/Java
- Experience with effective DevOps development practices
- Strong background in third-party cloud services, especially Amazon AWS (ECS, Fargate, IOT, Serverless, CloudFormation)
- Proficiency with build tools including Webpack, NPM, Grunt, and Gulp.js
- Experience with GraphQL a plus
- Effective coaching and leadership skills and an ability to successfully run engineering projects across a diverse organization with globally distributed teams
- Excellent communication and presentation skills and the ability to explain technical details and challenges to a wide variety of audiences
- Ability to look at solutions in creative and unconventional ways, recognize opportunities to innovate, and engage partners in a vision and strategy
Why join us?
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground, so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.