Principal Software Development Engineer
Intro: Are you passionate about architecture and the technology needed to drive a multi-billion dollar business? Do you love building creative, highly-scalable Microservices and Web Applications? Does providing technical leadership for a global, dynamic, and growing engineering organization energize you?
As a Principal Engineer within GCO, you will play a key role in defining a cloud-based architectural strategy. You will work with a dynamic group of product managers, architects and engineers to deliver a sophisticated, next-generation customer service platform at enterprise scale. You will provide thought leadership and hands-on engineering as we build an innovative suite of products and services, integrating seamlessly within our broad ecosystem.
In this role, you will be a critical member of a team which is using the latest technology to enable an effortless customer self-service experience across voice, web, mobile and social network platforms, empowering millions of travelers to enjoy their perfect trip.
Who you (candidate) are:
- 3+ years of architecture and design experience in an engineering, development or technology role
- 8+ years full-stack software development experience across multiple technologies, languages and frameworks
- Strong expertise utilizing cloud technologies and services with Amazon AWS or equivalent
- Effective mentoring and leadership skills and an ability to successfully drive design and implementation of software projects
- Excellent communication and presentation skills and the ability to explain technical details and challenges to a wide variety of audiences (including executive leadership)
- Ability to look at solutions in creative and unconventional ways, recognize opportunities to innovate, and engage partners in a vision and strategy
What you will do/role & responsibility:
- You will work alongside and mentor a diverse team of engineers, collaborating closely across GCO and Expedia’s brand engineering teams
- You'll collaborate across our Product Management, Architecture and Engineering teams and with other partners to provide technical direction and architectural input into product development roadmaps
- You will partner with Systems Engineering and Operations teams to define platform operational features and ensure effective delivery of platform availability, quality and performance
- You'll drive proof of concepts and pilots to accelerate the onboarding of new technologies and solutions to solve business problems
- Provide technical coaching and mentorship across engineering and architecture teams, fostering an environment of innovation and collaboration
- Ensure the technical teams understand strategic goals, product and future technology roadmaps
- Train and assist partners and internal Expedia organizations to utilize platform services offerings
- Evangelize products and services to external partners and internal Expedia organizations
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground, so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.