Returnship: Software Engineer at Ookla
Have you taken some extended time away from your career in support of family or personal obligations? At Ookla, we know that career pauses are sometimes the best way for us to support our family and loved ones. After a professional break, it might be daunting or difficult to imagine returning to a daily professional life. We are working with our parent company, J2, who has created J2 ReStart to make that return more accessible to everyone.
J2 ReStart is a 16-week paid returnship hosted by J2 Global. Candidates who have taken a professional career hiatus for at least two years will be eligible to apply to this program, subject to other standard hiring conditions and practices by J2 Global and Ookla. Upon completion of the 16-week program, all candidates will be evaluated for conversion to a full-time position!The Team
Ookla, the company behind Speedtest and Downdetector, is a team of passionate individuals who have turned clever ideas into unique products and a thriving business. Globally, millions of tests are performed every day across the Speedtest ecosystem on the web, desktop and mobile apps, embedded in routers and deployed in thousands of servers. With all that usage comes countless ways to dissect and analyze our data, and plenty of exciting opportunities to optimize our monetization strategy. It also gives us the ability to help make the internet better, faster and more accessible for everyone. If you crave the chance to do your best work in a flexible work environment where we value individuality and fun as much as we value talent, we want to hear from you.The Role
We are looking for someone who has been a full stack engineer in the past and is looking to get back into it. This person will need solid technical fundamentals, experience in front end implementations and a successful track record of building consumer/ enterprise web applications in the passt. You must be able to work within a team environment. A successful candidate will help Ookla deliver the next generation of Speedtest services and products to our users and customers.Expectations for Success:
- You will play a role in the development of our Speedtest web platform and enterprise products throughout all phases of application development
- You will be asked to solve for reliability, scale and flexibility, as well as implement a visually rich and engaging user experience
- You will collaborate on architecture, technology choices, and interactions with other core components such as backend APIs, analytics, our distributed testing network, and other application platforms (mobile and native apps)
- You will focus on the front-end but be capable of developing across the full stack
- You will receive guidance and be able to collaborate with a small group of motivated team members who love to get things done.
You are eligible for this program if you have been out of the workforce for at least 2 years, subject to other standard hiring conditions and practices by J2 Global and Ookla.
- Staying home to raise your family
- Taking needed time off to provide personal care for a loved one
- Wish to return to work after retirement
- Necessary sabbatical from the workforce for personal reasons
The heading says “requirements” but we’re looking for the right person not the exact list. If your life experience prepares you for similar challenges, we’d like to hear from you.
- Software development experience, with a solid foundation in data structures, algorithms, and design patterns
- Experience with web technologies (HTTP, REST, HTML, CSS)
- Experience with networking (IP, TCP, UDP, WebSocket)
- Experience with distributed version control systems such as git
- Experience with Agile practices such as Test Driven Development and Continuous Integration
- Excellent debugging and problem solving skills
- Experience working as a part of a distributed team
- Experience with functional programming or reactive programming a plus
BenefitsOTHER RETURNSHIP PROGRAM INFORMATION
Range of benefits may include health care, employee discounts, paid time off, and more depending on plan eligibility. Upon successful completion of the returnship program candidates may receive, but are not guaranteed to receive, an offer for full-time employment. In addition to successfully completing a returnship, any offer of full time employment is also contingent upon the business needs of the company. The terms of this program are subject to change. Visit [our Built In Seattle page].