Senior Android Developer
Senior Android Developer
About Geocaching HQ
We are the global headquarters for the game of geocaching. Our apps and the Geocaching.com website enable a global community of millions of people to join in a real-world treasure hunt.
Our mission (and yours, should you choose to accept it) is to inspire and enable discovery, exploration, and adventure. Basically, everyone’s job here is to enable people all over the world to have more fun outside. How cool is that?
What we’re looking for in a Senior Developer
- A proven track record of successfully delivering multiple iterations of Android apps to the public with rave reviews
- A strong foundation of object-oriented programming skills and deep familiarity with computer science topics including data structures and algorithms
- Ability to keep up with rapidly changing platforms and awareness of the latest advances on the Android platform
- A keen sense of the risks, rewards and trade-offs when making technical decisions
- Mentorship and guidance to other developers
- Love of a self-organizing, agile software development team and enthusiasm for Scrum rituals
- Ability to Identify opportunities to improve the team’s processes and practices
- Understanding of the importance of selling your ideas and building consensus within the team and the company
- Enjoyment of close collaboration, both within and outside the team
- Total ownership over the quality of their work and fluency in development practices that minimize bugs, through UI testing and unit testing.
- Sense for good UX practices and knowledge of Material design patterns. Further, enjoys working with our UX team to create experiences that delight our customers
- Able to oversee a feature or deliverable to its high quality completion with little to no oversight.
Qualifications & Required Skills
- 6+ years of experience as a hands-on developer, with 2+ years on the Android platform
- Proven expertise in Java and Kotlin, with a mastery of patterns and frameworks used on the Android platform including data persistence, Fragments, Map APIs, and Google Play Services.
- Experience writing apps that support a wide variety of Android devices.
- Experience writing clients for RESTful web services
- Experience in Agile environments using XP, Scrum or Kanban methodologies
- Bachelor’s degree (MIS or Computer Science emphasis) or equivalent experience
- Experience with some of the following: RxJava and dagger2
- Knowledge of test automation technologies for Android including JUnit and Espresso
- Bonus: Experience with payments and in-app billing.
- Leads by example and exemplifies our values (effectiveness, authenticity, passion) in actions and behaviors.
- Superb communication, interpersonal, and negotiation skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Exhibits tact and proper judgment under pressure and in sensitive situations.
- Desire to learn and a “quick study” with new concepts, systems, and technologies
- Self-starting, self-directed, and open to coaching/feedback
- Exceptional presentation skills for any audience.
- Uses independent judgment to plan, organize, and prioritize workload.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to remain stationary for long periods of time. In this position you must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
This job description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the only duties, responsibilities, and qualification for this job. Incumbents may be required to follow any additional related instructions, acquire related job skills, and perform other related work as required.